Sign in to follow this  
skeetermike

How to remove rust stains on vinyl siding

Question

What is the best/safest way to remove rust stains on white vinyl siding. I have an apartment complex that is stained under all of the through the wall heating/AC units.

There are about 250 units. I believe it is rust from draining condensate.

13 answers to this question

Mike....couple of things.

1 - Welcome to TGS!

2 - Please add a signature - house rules.

3 - Do a search for Rust on Vinyl - you will find your answers....or scroll to the bottom of this page after reading my post and you'll probably get the whole list of topics anyway.

Mike, oxalic acid should do the trick. A lot will depend on the source of the rust, emergency pan, primary pan, etc. But oxalic acid should work. Just make sure you wear your proper PPE, and neutralize the acid after your done. There are other products you can get like One Restore, that is already premixed. It works great too.

Chemical Direct is the leading supplier of high quality cleaning equipment, cleaning chemicals and janitorial products. Their experienced stuffs have extensive knowledge in the cleaning industry and they serve their clients with exact product or machine according to their requirements. LINK REMOVED _ FROM SPAMMERis the leading supplier of high quality cleaning equipment, cleaning chemicals and janitorial products. Their experienced stuffs have extensive knowledge in the cleaning industry and they serve their clients with exact product or machine according to their requirements.

Are you a crazy man? Shipping cost must be through the roof to the states.

Looks like spam, but, welcome to TGS. Please complete your signature line- it's required!!

Edited by Beth n Rod

Guys how about rust on an asphalt roof ? Would Oxalic be safe and effective

Yes it will be effective but there are several steps you must take. I would not advise it if you havent done it before.

When you say use the proper ppe what is the proper ppe?

Personal Protective Equipment......goggles, gloves, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the safe restore because I had it on hand for window restoration. It removed the extreme rust very, very quickly. Then I rinsed it with ammonia water. One cup per gallon. Turned out perfectly regarding the rust stains. Now here was my problem. Strait 6% bleach did not remove the Alabama red mud stains, nor did butyl based, nor Sodium Hydroxide cleaners nor anything else I had available. But the acid in safe restore made the white vinyl look like new. What would be my best option for washing an entire building following a high PH wash. (I also added my signature to this posting hope it shows)

I tried the safe restore because I had it on hand for window restoration. It removed the extreme rust very, very quickly. Then I rinsed it with ammonia water. One cup per gallon. Turned out perfectly regarding the rust stains. Now here was my problem. Strait 6% bleach did not remove the Alabama red mud stains, nor did butyl based, nor Sodium Hydroxide cleaners nor anything else I had available. But the acid in safe restore made the white vinyl look like new. What would be my best option for washing an entire building following a high PH wash. (I also added my signature to this posting hope it shows)

You must have some heated Dihydrogen Monoxide for the red clays stains.

Really heated D.M. Tons of chems will barely touch the stains. But heat will make all the difference.