Sign in to follow this  
John T

My last cop gig--Johnny Union has left the building

Question

Feb 29th was my last gig. My private Retirement party where not even spouses were invited. We got restaurant certificate for the significant others for another day.

This room is upstairs in a top 40 restaurant in all of NY which is unbelievable considering there are ove 15,000 restaurants. To me this restaurant was alway my favorite and its where I held my Union meetings back in the day.

Because of my unorthodox ways of getting things done I started to get a nickname that you see on the cake. The only female was one of my partners. She's the first in the history of my job in 90 yrs and I'm the only one who said this job was not made for a female and I refused to work with her.. She is ex NYPD cop of the year so she is "All of that"

Funny thing the first night she was under training with me because she was going to be put into a regular squad with different partners, she Confronted me and said your the one who refuses to work with a female... Yup that would be me. The buiding is to small to have a female in there and it could only spell trouble.

SO what happens---- I was proven wrong again and because of all the flack she was getting on my job I shocked the bosses and decided to work with her.. We argued alot but she is as loyal as they come. Probably the best heart in anyone I ever met on the job.

So the chapter was finally closed. I got a custom watch(Means I'm old) They retired my shield and encased it in a beautiful plaque. The guys bought me a 22K Gold babe Ruth card and the large metal pic of the Babe.

It was sad to leave because these people were my extended family.. I fought hard for them when I had to.. Now its time to fight for some other things that can benefit us the business owners... maybe. Who knows but its was a bitter sweet ending to once promising career.

Time flies so make the best of it.

Pictures all came from cell phones so the quality is poor.

13 answers to this question

Cool stuff John. Thanks for sharing it. Looks like a wonderful party. I'm sure you'll miss is at times, it was a big part of you for so long.

Beth

Congratulations John. You hung in there a long time. Nobody can ever call you a quitter.

Now you can join the ranks of us perps and come out here for a visit.

For fun we can get pulled over for speeding and time you and see how fast you can "show your hands"!. "Hands on the wheel!" "get out of the car!" "stay in the car!" "get down on the ground!" "stay where you are!" "stop resisting!" BANG BANG. OOPS, he was a retired cop!

On second thought, come on out to visit, but I'd better drive. Lol.

Congratulations again John!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I owe you a big night out on the strip John! Come on out!

Hey Tony I'll be there one day and yup we'll hang. Your good people even though on the net we look like mortal enemies..lol

Quick cop story for ya.. Like an idiot around 5 am yrs ago when I was driving at a high rate of speed with my 86 ford mustang Gt convertible 5.0L I was dragging a thunderbird on the expressway and we shot right past highway PD. It was to late so the other guy kept going and I gunned it way down because I saw the PD lights come on from a distance.

There was no doubt in my mind he was going to come after us and probably never likely to catch us but it was stupid and he was a fellow brother so I pulled over and waited for him to drive up on me which he did.

He went over the PA and told me to turn my interior lights on and hands up against the windshield which I did.

He walks over to the car and he now says to get my license. I reach in and get out my PD ID card and I admit it was stupid which is why I pulled right over after passing him... So what does he do??

He takes my PD ID card which is as big of a burn to lose as loosing your gun or shield and he calls me a rookie piece of shizz and proceed to throw my card out into the expressway. I couldn't believe it. He now gets in his car and drives off and says the same thing over the PA system.

So there I am out in the middle of the expwy which is not far from the city and I'm trying like crazy to find my ID card.

It takes me at least 20 minutes to find it all the while running off the road when cars came by.

The next day I was so burned up by this even though I know what I did was wrong that I went into the Union office and told this story. They want the car# and they'll track him down and they said what I did was wrong but that guy should not be allowed to be a cop because of what he did so they wanted his name..

I worked in the boro where every boss and there mother was and in the future the NYPD union President who is still the Union President today who is Patty Lynch who only had a yr on the job then more then I did.

I was mad as heck but as much as they asked me I couldn't give up this guys name and I already new it because I already found it out..

The end result is I got this guy back in a way you may do it as if it was some one else that wasn't a cop and no I did not kick his arz because he was just a huge dude.. But I got him..

After that time Patty Lynch decided to run for a union delegate and a bunch of us "young" guys gave out pens in his name... Patty darn near won. He lost to the Union delegate who at that time had 24 yrs doing that job but the vote in our precinct was like 120-115 range. It was very close.

Soon after that I left the city but that experience got me very interested in Union life. The ability to support good cops and leave the bad cops out there on there own to defend themselves is what interest me the most. To support the ones you believe in.

Today Patty has been the president for at least 15 yrs in a Dep't of 40,000 cops and I ended up in fantasy island supporting just 10 people who are like family..

Now you see a bit of what worked for me.. Which probably is not your typical way of doing things.. Right there with being a small union head and a business org executive board of director at the same time.. How's that for a mix bag of worms:)

And Tony I was wrong for speeding. I had my fair share of tickets before I became a cop but not enough to disqualify me.. But being from the inside like I did when I was involved with org stuff in the PW industry the majority of people are good people... But in the cop world it would take just 1 or 2 bad cops that made it tough for the rest of us and the impression which your seeing is that because of these bad cops the other cops are no better.

What you never saw is what my uncle dealt with. He was a boss in a different PD IAD department and he dealt with many cops who gave up the bad cops and he also dealt with the scumbag cops who gave up other bad cops because they were already caught.... So there is that side of the law that the public never see's.

One of the cops that my uncle personally locked up for shaking down drug dealers and then selling there garbage received 8 yrs in jail which the cop decided to do it serving in with the main population just to show that he was not going to be intimidated.... Well that story every bunch of years comes to light in the papers.

K that's that. Now you know.

Congrats on your new found "freedom" - you've earned it! Now bring your wife and family down this way to visit :)

I consider that an invite.. your now on my list of people to see in there own backyards before I call it a career so I can take all these great memories with me... and NO I wont be sneaking pics of the fence at ya... you'll know where coming.. my door for you and Roger is always open for one or the both of you if you ever come up to ripoff Island. Just gas up in NJ first because my Island likes to rip people off with astromincal taxes.. in sane.

John, New York and Maryland are not that far apart. This summer sometime you guys should come down and we could all meet on the eastern shore and sit down and eat crabs.

Beth

Consider that done. By then I should have a nice story to tell... I do have a strong committee and wait to you here what came up by one of them down the road... nothing said until it's set in stone and allowed by the staff... But this one is sweet.

Congratulations John. You hung in there a long time. Nobody can ever call you a quitter.

Now you can join the ranks of us perps and come out here for a visit.

For fun we can get pulled over for speeding and time you and see how fast you can "show your hands"!. "Hands on the wheel!" "get out of the car!" "stay in the car!" "get down on the ground!" "stay where you are!" "stop resisting!" BANG BANG. OOPS, he was a retired cop!

On second thought, come on out to visit, but I'd better drive. Lol.

Congratulations again John!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks you for the post.