Sign in to follow this  
Cullen Adams

What Is Your Definition Of Success?

Happy St Patrick's Day Everybody!

Just curious to hear what you define as success in business?

Happy Patty's day to you sir,

Well its a bit about the money when you first start, you have to sustain yourself with stability. After that its really about loving an being passionate about what you do. Many people can say they make a lot of money but are they really happy doing what they do?

I'm certain I could run a flower shop successfully, would i be happy? NO

Loving what you do wanting to wake each an everyday to do what you do is success to me. If I made Half of what I make now or had to take less, I wouldn't change my job. I love my work, I enjoy selling almost as much as the time I spend with the people I love.

Money doesn't measure success, the passion that drives you to love what you do is the meter. Money might just be something that comes along with it.

I'll second that. This may sound crazy but in talking to someone the other night they asked me was I ever extremely passionate about any one thing in life that it was so dominating at all... and yes I did have that but it's forever gone.

It was Hockey. I played every type of Hockey imaginable including playing in multiple leagues at one time. I also had probably the first fully sponsored street hockey turned Deck hockey team when I was a kid in my area. We were a power house in Deck hockey, Run a way in street hockey, good with Roller hockey, dominant in our schools floor hockey league, played on my HS varsity Ice Hockey team the same time I played on 3 other league ice hockey teams.

I also did this with a few other guys.. In street hockey we were kings but that didn't mean much, Deck hockey alot of guys on my team that was sponsored played in Boston for the national championships and lost 2-1(i was supposed to be on that team but I was disqualified for that all-star team For fighting with the owner of the rink we played at). My goal there was to beat the greatest deck hockey & street hockey player in history Doug Hauser but blew it with my suspension. Roller hockey we were OK and the only guys I knew that became stars from that were the Mullen brothers from Hells Kitchen NY. Joey Mullen scored over 500 goals in the NHL and I was tracking him thru sports illustrated in the 70's. Floor hockey meant nothing but we always won.. The problem was ice hockey. That game I was about as passionate as one could be. I followed the stars thru the "hockey news" and knew about Wayne Gretsky since he was 10-11.. That game we played whenever and wherever we could. Frozen Ponds at midnight, Long island Arena where the ducks played...anywhere. Problem was even though we were getting good at it you can't start ice hockey at 13 and expect to "Make it". But me and my closest friends felt we could.. Winning house league championships and leading HS school in scoring for 2 of the 3 yrs I played for them means squat and reality hit me at the end of my Junior yr.... I stopped playing Ice first and then 2-3 yrs later stopped playing any Hockey all together. For kicks I played a couple of deck hockey league games in my 20's, 1 or 2 games in my 30's and one game in my 40's and got hurt but still scored...

I want to see if I can score one goal in my 50's now to keep my streak of scoring at least a goal in some type of organized hockey for 4 decades but bum knee will probably end that.

Still could kick butt in knock hockey, bobby hull hockey, sports places boo button hockey.. But really lost the real passion when I skated off my school hockey team in 11th grade because reality hit like a brick. My parents were happy because they always said it affected my school grades but that passion to me was special.

If only my friends in that click and myself started like 10 yrs younger with Ice because that game counts.

But like Ron says(sorry for the long boring story) I like this industry also. I'm passionate towards it to see people succeed including myself.

Time is flying by so yes Money is great but what drives you to be passionate where you can really enjoy what you do??

That is what I'm after and I dream high like I did with Hockey as a kid. Do I shoot to high?? Maybe. (scored twice but hit the post 3 times with high shots in HS playoff game that we lost).Time will tell but the question is am I having fun being passionate towards something... YES. Will I succeed because it takes a ton of drive?? Possibly, but it's dependent on so many others which is why like in Hockey I had good players with me that enjoyed it as much as I did and those memories--PRICELESS-- which money could never buy.

Well, I could be snarky, and say that it is being someone, or doing something that others are envious enough of that they make up lies and spread rumors about you.

In reality, I think Ron is spot on. Sure, money will come with it, but in reality, if i am successful, with my wife, raising children, that will fill me with joy, but I will not necessarily see financial rewards from it.

I agree. Everyone has different needs, expectations and purpose. I believe that in order for someone to feel as though he is "successful" he would ultimately feel joy in whatever dealings he is doing. Money is one measurement of success.. love for what you do, taking joy in creating and always trying to reach for a happier place and treating people well is another.

I agree. Everyone has different needs, expectations and purpose. I believe that in order for someone to feel as though he is "successful" he would ultimately feel joy in whatever dealings he is doing. Money is one measurement of success.. love for what you do, taking joy in creating and always trying to reach for a happier place and treating people well is another.

Graig Great post. Look forward to meeting you after 10 years on the web.

Ron ********** text me for

questions 480-522-5227 Pressure Washing Institute.com

Well, I could be snarky, and say that it is being someone, or doing something that others are envious enough of that they make up lies and spread rumors about you.

In reality, I think Ron is spot on. Sure, money will come with it, but in reality, if i am successful, with my wife, raising children, that will fill me with joy, but I will not necessarily see financial rewards from it.

I'm with you on that Scott. Did Ron just get really deep? :)

I would say a positive bank account for sure, enjoy what you do of course, but I would gauge it on a better quality of life I can provide for my Family. No we don't buy new cars or trucks, have a big house or expensive habits. We live kind of a simple life but can enjoy ourselves when we want to.

Because of the business my Wife will be graduating RN school in May without having to deal with a full time job.......To me that's success in business.

Im the best looking pressure washer in the country, I'd say thats pretty successful ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Charlie you went to Nola , that's nothing to tough to accomplish, if you have teeth.

Bobby Hull drank all night at a house I lived in with a couple of other guys . Non of us where into hockey but

all jocks. I think he liked us because we didn't believe him and kept saying your a figure skater?

Bobby Hull drank all night at a house I lived in with a couple of other guys . Non of us where into hockey but

all jocks. I think he liked us because we didn't believe him and kept saying your a figure skater?

lol .. the Golden Jet was awesome. Then his hair fell out and he was still great even with the rug he ended up putting on top of his dome. Thats cool you met him. He had that banana stick that could unload his shot well over 100mph at goalies that wore no mask. Good thing he liked you guys. He was a strong MF. Not only was he fast he had probably the hardest shot in the history of the game. If he played during the Gretsky era like his son Brett did he would have scored a 1000 goals easy which I think he did if you count the WHA with the Hanson brothers.... The geeks that wore the glasses in the Movie Slap Shot that would beat the heck out of guys.. Man I loved that game.. Picture Bobby Clarke missing his teeth. His style to do anything to win is what I liked the best. He has Diabeties and nothing could stop him. The only guy who trumped Bobby Clarke in my day was the greatest who ever played the game and is my idol as..... Number 4.... any Guesses Jimbo???

I think I'm hijacking this thread because of the word passion...

Find your passion within your business and it makes it all that much more rewarding to go along with paying the bills and giving your family the support they need.

I use to play golf with Bobby. Bobby's Son, Phil Espisito, Norm Beaudin, and some others in Florida back when they were helping to start and promote the Tampa Bay Lightening. We had lot of fun on the golf course, but after the Golf, WOW that's when the party really started. Fun times indeed.

I use to play golf with Bobby. Bobby's Son, Phil Espisito, Norm Beaudin, and some others in Florida back when they were helping to start and promote the Tampa Bay Lightening. We had lot of fun on the golf course, but after the Golf, WOW that's when the party really started. Fun times indeed.

I watched Phil as a kid

man I loved old Espisito, he new what his limits were and totally focused on his strenghts, sitting in front of the net and scoring. Bobby Orr was the best and years ahead of his time in training and the way he played the game , I herd his agent robbed him of all his money anyone know if thats true.

I'm doing work for an ex- sports agent who now recovers money for robbed pro athletes . He's doing very well...... gets one third and just recovered 10 million for a pro who lost 128 million.

I find I'm successful because I'm alway working for people who are successful. I know my stuff better than 99.9% of who's out there, don't screw up, call most people back, make fun of every thing and start the day with a laugh. KISS

Today my wife says her new pants are a little big and do they look funny? I say you'll grow into them ! My son starts laughing ! good one dad ! Great start to the day............

hallo guys I agree with your suggestion and definitions... But I think a successful person is that who have heartily happy...And get the achievement in business...And have a happy family...

I consider myself successful because I've got a wife and kids that love me. I keep the bills paid, a roof over our heads and food on the table. My kids are polite and bring home excellent grades. Their pants don't sag and they care about others. For those alone I'm successful. If I were rich and didn't have a dime, Success would be nothing. 

Austin House Cleaning Services | Austin Maid Services