Sign in to follow this  
marco

could use expert advice

Question

I know you guys have been asked this question before and yes I have already searched.But I can still use some advice.I looked at a home with two decks each 25'by 19' thats 1900 sq ft right ?At 1.00 dollar a sq ft.It seems expensive. One deck has thompsans the other one does not.There both about 3 years old and do not have much mold or dirt.I know prices vary from region to region,but here in the northeast what are the deck washers getting for a job like this?Since one deck has thompsans will tsp be a good way to remove it?if not what is a good product to remove the sealer?I would appreciate any advice on this job.

7 answers to this question

1 - your measurements are off

2 - you are going to lose money at $1.00......we start NO lower than $1.95 for PT and it goes up from there.

3 - TSP? to strip.......you need to study more and practice on someone other than a customer.

the sq ft. are off?this job is just a wash no sealer or stain.that is why I thought it would be to expensive .If tsp wouldn't work for thompsans what would?That $1.95 is that just for a wash.Yes I admit maybe I should get some more practice ,but I think this is a job I can do with good results.I'm not just someone who bought a pressure washer last week and wants to make an easy dollar.I have done research just not much on decks.

Edited by marco

I'm not just someone who bought a pressure washer last week and wants to make an easy dollar.I have done research just not much on decks.

Easy Buddy, no one said you were. Take it down a notch on the sensitivity.

If its just a wash job why would you consider stripping the Thompson's off??? Washing is washing & stripping is stripping and preparing the wood for stain, so which is it? Washing costs less, stripping cost more.

Easy Buddy, no one said you were. Take it down a notch on the sensitivity.

If its just a wash job why would you consider stripping the Thompson's off??? Washing is washing & stripping is stripping and preparing the wood for stain, so which is it? Washing costs less, stripping cost more.

o.k so lets say the client wanted to strip the thompsans off .What would be the ideal product to use ?I appologize if I came off as a jerk.

sodium hydroxide based stripper and neutralized with an acidic brightener after washing. Will also depend on the type of thompsons, some of the newer stuff that comes in a plastic container has some sort of dye in it and is very difficult to remove compared to the regular thompsons wax product.

25x19 on my calculator equals 475. Two of those equals 950 so no idea where your math is coming from.

sodium hydroxide based stripper and neutralized with an acidic brightener after washing. Will also depend on the type of thompsons, some of the newer stuff that comes in a plastic container has some sort of dye in it and is very difficult to remove compared to the regular thompsons wax product.

25x19 on my calculator equals 475. Two of those equals 950 so no idea where your math is coming from.

yes it does I realize the mistake I made now .THANKS

19x25 = 475 square feet. IF there was two lengths of rail at 19' and one length at 22', that would total 60 lineal feet. Each lineal foot gets charged as seven square feet in my calculations. 60 lin. feet times 7 equals 420 square feet. Throw in just a couple of steps and I can see how a 19x25 deck equal 900 square feet on the calcometer.

Hey, it could happen, right?