Sign in to follow this  
rwhat

Customer said no bleach used on house wash!

Question

I have a customer that absolutely wants no bleach used on house. I guess they had house washed before and something went wrong. I'm guessing inexperience mix and killed everything and oxidized siding. My question.....what can I use to remove mildew from siding? Something I can downstream or x-jet and that works fast. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by rwhat

7 answers to this question

Not everyone that calls is a customer. Ask them what their siding manufacturer recommends for cleaning because every Vinyl Siding Institute memo I've read about cleaning recommends bleach.

Age and solar exposure cause oxidation. Cleaning with bleach removes the dirt and leaves behind freshly washed but still oxidized siding.

Agreed not everyone is a customer that calls, however they are a customer as we refinished their deck. Also on the oxidation, yes I am aware the causes of oxidation, but bleach is also an oxidizer if used incorrectly. but that is a good tip on finding out what kinda of siding they have and checking manufacturers recommendations. I shall be calling them this afternoon! Thanks again. How is business in Clear Spring?

I've had several customers say the same thing about bleach, thing is they are not educated on what it is or proper usage. After I talk with them they don't have a problem with it anymore. If one would have "Insisted No Bleach" I would have passed the job or told them it would be 4 times the normal charge.

Guy....I'm assuming when you tell a customer that it would be 4 times the price it is a bluff trying to get them not to hire you or allow you to use bleach. What if someone says they are willing to pay the 4x if there was no bleach involved. What would be your method of cleaning it? What if any alternatives to bleach would you use?

Heres the thing there are no alternatives to bleach. You could try sodium percarbonate or some other oxidizer but it won't clean as good and youll need to use pressure.

If a customer calls you to do a service there needs to bea faith in there that you are the professional and can be trusted to do things right. Unless you sell yourself as a day laborer what you provide customers is knowledge, experience, and results. Seems like thia customer doesn't want any of that. I would pass. And since the house will most likely not get as clean you are setting yourself up for more problems down the road when they are not happy

If their last landscaper ran over a flower bed with a lawn mower would you be ok with them asking you to cut the lawn with a scissor?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Guy....I'm assuming when you tell a customer that it would be 4 times the price it is a bluff trying to get them not to hire you or allow you to use bleach. What if someone says they are willing to pay the 4x if there was no bleach involved. What would be your method of cleaning it? What if any alternatives to bleach would you use?

Great question! I have absolutely no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to find the answer.

A buddy of mine had some renovation work done in their house. To say that his wife is troublesome and hard to deal with is an understatement. Nothing came out right according to her. My buddy hung the sheetrock himself but wanted a contractor to do the finish work. One of the potential drywall guys must have picked up on the difficulties that would have been present (crazy, stuck up queen of the house) if he took the job. Bid something like 5 or 6 times what it was worth. She said she would not pay that much, he said "Have a good day" then ran like hell.