Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

Percarbonate questions.

Question

Cleaning my first deck Tuesday and I am going to use percarbonate

Can I downstream this with good results?

X-jet it on?

A pump up would take wayyy to long. This is just a cleaning and no staining followed

Thank you

23 answers to this question

No and No, wont be strong enough to do anything. The off gassing with the percarb would probably interfere with downstreamer anyway. Do you have a roof pump? Run it through there, quicker than a pump up.

No and No, wont be strong enough to do anything. The off gassing with the percarb would probably interfere with downstreamer anyway. Do you have a roof pump? Run it through there, quicker than a pump up.

Used my roof pump to apply percarbonate for the first time Friday. Just one of many ideas I picked up at the Albany seminar.

We have used an m-5 to apply percarbonate. Problem is strength of product.

You have to mix it with warm water and at 10oz/gal to get 3oz/gal on the surface with the 3:1 dilution ratio of the m-5

Unfortunately, you can't mix it any stronger due to the saturation level of water. The rest will precipitate and go to waste.

For cleaning purposes, it should be enough to avoid problems with the coating.

Rod!~

+100 Charlie

No I dont own a roof pump and the job is tomorrow

I will buy a pump up at home depot and bring along my M-5 xjet as a backup plan

If the above mentioned gets me no where is it possible to dip a hard bristled brush in a 5er mixed with percarb

And scrub in on the deck?

(I wil be prepared better for my next deck for sure)

I use to think there was a place for percarbs. Now it seems for every cleaning situation there is a different chem that I can use less of, apply it more rapidly via downstreaming. I can't seem to think of one useful application for percarbs - if I have the stuff, I know how to clean with it - but other than that. Perhaps for eco minded homeowners? Can you wash a house with percarbs, without having to backbrush the entire home? When is percarbs ever the more convenient chem to use? Even if I was going to apply chems direct through a roof pump or something - you can still use other chems at an even lower chem to water ratio for that as well.

Chazz,

6 to 8 oz./gal. of percarb on the wood, dependent on how much dirt, mold, mildew is present. I don't think you can get that concentration aside from a direct pump.

There is a great use for sodium percarbonate wood cleaners. It's called bare, unstained wood.

No I dont own a roof pump and the job is tomorrow

I will buy a pump up at home depot and bring along my M-5 xjet as a backup plan

If the above mentioned gets me no where is it possible to dip a hard bristled brush in a 5er mixed with percarb

And scrub in on the deck?

(I wil be prepared better for my next deck for sure)

Yes you can use a bucket and scrub brush to put the percarb on as well. I would go with the pump up, unless it's a huge deck it won't be too bad. Try to work in the shade and it won't dry out so quick. When you mix your percarb, do it in a 5 gallon bucket stir well and wait 10-15 minutes for it to settle down before pouring it into the pump up sprayer. If you pour in the sprayer right away it could over pressurize the sprayer and burst.

I do not know if it would be strong enough. According to my research on the various forums and other places on the internet, I have seen these responses

Yes

No

Yes, but not as well.

I have also seen a lot of the wood guys swear by F-10. That is what I plan to use.

Keenan and Dave,

As far as I know, Oxiclean is straight sodium percarbonate. If that is what you want, you can purchase in bulk from the Chemistry Store or local suppliers.

Again, as far as I know, Pressure Tek's F-10, ACR's percarb, Sunbright's restore(?) or other distributors for wood products offer surfactants and/or other ingredients that are applicable to cleaning wood.

Just mix with warm or even hot water, and apply directly with a pump. The mix does off gas a lot, just use within a 4 hr. period or so. Otherwise the mix will lose cleaning effectiveness.

Oxiclean does have surfactant in it, been using it for ten years for cleaning & light stripping, works good @ 8 oz per gallon mixed with warm to mild hot water. Much more cost effective when purchased at Costco. Around $1.25 lb. - 12 lb. tubs.

Oxiclean does have surfactant in it, been using it for ten years for cleaning & light stripping, works good @ 8 oz per gallon mixed with warm to mild hot water. Much more cost effective when purchased at Costco. Around $1.25 lb. - 12 lb. tubs.

Oxiclean is

Sodium percarbonate

An adduct of sodium carbonate

and hydrogen peroxide