Sign in to follow this  
John T

A true Powerwashing friend dies who has impacted many is not forgotten

David Olson who died just 3 days before christmas 2011 has left behind such a legacy of greatness in this industry that I wanted to reach out to his family when I found out the news. Where did I find this out?? It was from Doug ********** who posted it on the net and also here to I think it was. I couldnt believe what I read. I was stunned. I met David just one time and corresponded with him many many times thru the bb's, emails and a couple of phone calls. I pretty much idolized David so much that I actually tried to copy his box truck and I used propane burners like David did. He would tell me how to do it.. He was a very given man.. One time when I was messing with my burners I had a sonic boom in my box truck that blew out all the piping and myself out with it. By all accounts I probably should have died. The fireball went right over my head as I was flying out the truck with the sheet metal piping.. Some one was looking out over me that day.. I accidently had the large propane tank filled with liquid propane when it should have been filled with Gas propane. Lucky to be telling this story today.

So when I found out David died...and what he went thru before then with his skin cancer where he showed it on the net when his scalp was removed.. he was a very brave man. He also years earlier talked on the net the hurt he had with the falling out with his son which was rectified. David was an open book.. who always always told the straight story. To me there was no one more impacting to me and my business as Dave was.

So after listening to so many who meant well to make it where David will not be forgotten I started to do what I do best and that is to do something..anything. Talk about things to the Sun turns blue like many may do... but I'm most likely already out there doing it.. I am a bang bang type guy which works.. some of the times.(have to learn to slow that up in organization life because there very organized and they plan meticulously which is the correct way to go there).

I contacted Davids wife Peggy who said he died 3 days before Christmas. He was about 69 and they were married for 49.5 yrs.. that tells you volumes of what type of Guy David was. I also notified the PWNA president of Davids death and he also contacted the family. I told Eric I'll do something for him because him and I both being past PWNA treasurers and the way I felt about Dave I would be honored to do something for him...

This is a tear jerker but I am honored to do this for the man who meant the world to hundreds if not thousands on the net.

I know David had his differences with the PWNA but he still went to many of there conventions. When I met him at Celeste RT around 2007 him and I talked for hours about the PWNA.. He felt that there a good org but there has to be something more to offer there members and he had idea's on how to do that.. So I listened and never forgot what he was saying.. So because of him I tried harder in certain area's. He was an inspiration to me and when Doug ********** put that post out there I felt like I was hit deep in the stomach..

So here will be one picture of me and Dave from a distance where you can see the pen circle around us talking at celeste RT. Then you will see the email exchanges I had with Peggy... not all but the ones that are impacting.. and out of respect for David if you dislike the PWNA do not bring it into this post.. David was a huge part of the PWNA early history and he still went to there conventions and he deserves the respect even after death.... because for all of us and many more.... this man has earned it.

Edited by John T
typo's and corrections.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Hello John!

Oh, my, how can I thank you for all your kind thoughts and words! I know Dave enjoyed talking with you, too! Meeting and chatting with you and other Forum folks was the icing on the cake of his business! THIS is where he felt he did the most good, and took great delight in it! THANK YOU for being a friend, John!

I am now in the sad process of closing down Tidy Powerwash. It is more than I can handle, I'm afraid.

Thanks for including Eric's message to me. I will contact him right away. Thank you for passing on his message!

And thanks again for being Dave's friend and for your very kind words! They mean a LOT to me!

Peggy Olson

Tidy Powerwash Service[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Hello John!

I'm so sorry this response is late in coming! I have been overwhelmed by all the stuff to do, both personally and for the business.

This is so thoughtful and kind of you to remember Dave this way! Your friendship with Dave was priceless to him! He always enjoyed talking with you!

For mailing something, the address below is good.

Thanks again, and talk to you later.

Peggy Olson[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi Peggy,

Don't worry about any of this. You never have to apologize. Right now I'm in New Orleans with my wife Kathy attending a Powerwashing event. I already contacted this very well known family about David and they should be sending me something via snail mail and from there I'll send it to you.

This is special to me that David gets this because for who he was and I wish I had it delivered to him under different circumstances because he truly deserved it. So because of his passing it's worded differently but the message of what he meant is not.

I'll email you when it goes out to you which will probably be sometime next week.

John Tornabene

Sent from my iPad

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Hello John!

I have received the box, papers, and magazine you sent. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was so totally overwhelmed with your and Linda Ruth Tosetti's gift, that I just sat and cried! Oh, my, what a blessing!

Your and Linda's good deed has been a total delight to me and our family. Dave would have been delighted too, and honored! Not all our family has seen the picture and read all the papers yet, but as we have our get-togethers, your gifts will be the center of attention!

Your story of the way it all came about is fascinating! It's amazing how your act of kindness has developed into a marvelous friendship with Linda Ruth Tosetti! And I heartily applaud the "Clean Across North America" group for their gracious efforts!

Dave liked to help out people here in our tiny town of Catlin, IL. He took great pride and honor in cleaning various public locations in town as a civic service gift. He also was very generous in cleaning house exteriors and driveways, etc. for folks who needed the work done but were on very limited income. When they would call him and ask about the bill, he would just say "it's been taken care of".

Dave also liked to talk with other in the industry (you were a favorite, of course!!!!). He had a very real ability to understand the needs and abilities of other people, and was blessed by God to be able to share his feelings and knowledge.

A BIG THANK YOU and hugs to you, Linda, and everyone who made this gift possible!

May God richly bless you all!

Margaret Olson

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Still haven't forgotten about David Olson and never will. Wish he was here and many would have loved to see him at the PWNA's 20th year reunion Convention. Amazing thru thick and thin the PWNA is still growing and giants like David were a big reason for that. I miss his Internet presence, his honesty and his integrity. David was a giant.