Sign in to follow this  
Sud n Clean

Thompson's Water Seal Vs. Ready Seal or other oil/paraffin based sealer

Question

Talking to a potential customer who just recently installed a pressure treated pine fence. Asked him his idea about a finish. Said he was really thinking of Thompson's Water Seal.

I'd like a little feedback from you folks with mucho experience... I understand that Thompson's is NOT a good product. Those who have encountered Thompson's, is this true? I need talking points/facts to speak to him intelligently.

Been using Ready Seal since I stained my first deck in 2010. Never been disappointed. But, never spoke with someone who really wanted Thompson's, either.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by Sud n Clean

9 answers to this question

Thompson's is not necessarily a "bad" product, its just a cheap, simple water-repellent. It's really not even in the same category with Ready Seal or any of the other professional grade stains. Take a couple minutes to explain the differences (and benefits) of using a quality pigmented product, and your customer will be thanking you for years to come. One of the hardest things we have to do everyday is fight the big $$$ spent by the big box stores on advertising their products. As for encountering Thompson's... that's a rare thing, since it doesn't stick around very long.

Also, try to encourage them to wait at least 6 months before staining that new pressure treat. You will get much longer life out of your stain if you let it weather naturally before cleaning and staining.

Thanks, David. I was in your neck of the woods last October @ the PWNA Convention. (Little known AR-TN facts - Nashville and Murfreesboro are just miles from each other, both in Tennessee and Arkansas.)

Back to Thompson's, I understand it is a water based finish, rather than an oil/paraffin based finish. I've heard that wood cannot breathe with Thompson's, causing the wood to fail prematurely. Also, that the oil/paraffin based finishes, when applied correctly, soak into the wood, revitalizing the wood, replacing the natural oils that go away with time. Not to mention the UV protection of the pigments, should something other than clear be chosen.

Just seeking verification, as well as good talking points to help my potential customer understand the risks and benefits of his decision.

Back to Thompson's, I understand it is a water based finish, rather than an oil/paraffin based finish. I've heard that wood cannot breathe with Thompson's, causing the wood to fail prematurely. Also, that the oil/paraffin based finishes, when applied correctly, soak into the wood, revitalizing the wood, replacing the natural oils that go away with time. Not to mention the UV protection of the pigments, should something other than clear be chosen.

Bingo

You pretty much nailed it Brad. Always use a pigmented product if at all possible. The pigment is what protects the wood from UV light.

Follow Clark's lead. Find the product that works best for you and stand behind it!

Thanks, David. I was in your neck of the woods last October @ the PWNA Convention. (Little known AR-TN facts - Nashville and Murfreesboro are just miles from each other, both in Tennessee and Arkansas.)

Just seeking verification, as well as good talking points to help my potential customer understand the risks and benefits of his decision.

Actually the above in red is FALSE. Water based finishes are just as permeable as oil based finishes are, the exception to that being PAINT which Thompson's is not. Water based finishes do not dive in as deep nor do they moisturize. On a horizontal surface they degrade differently, since they forma film, and depending on the product and the build up (number of coats) that may mean peeling. Or, it may not, if you are talking about one coat. Water based products are best installed vertically, since vertical surfaces are subjected to indirect weather. Oils are better for the floors (horizontal). Having said this, we like Armstrong's blended oil product on decking.

We apply quite a bit of water based product each year, with amazing, lasting results - vertically. Horizontally, we like oil.

Hope this helps.

Beth

You are very welcome Danny.

We don't suggest water based (acrylic) products on a floor for several reasons:

1. traffic:foot traffic, pets claws, furniture scooting, direct sun and UV exposure. All of these represent opportunities for failure, which can mean cracking, chipping and peeling. Oils do not do this. Oils wear more evenly.
  2. Doesn't moisturize: horizontal surfaces require moisturization, especially in areas that get higher amounts of UV exposure. Oils moisturize.
  3. Expense: Acrylic floor will be more costly to maintain if it begins to fail than an oil will. An oil can be washed and re-coated, while re-coating an acrylic will look splotchy. If a floor fails a substantial amount, you MUST strip it, and that is much more costly than a maintenance wash.

Beth

p.s. I know exactly ZERO contractors who use Thompson's.