Sign in to follow this  
RickDel

Will this Northern Tool spot sprayer work to apply Apple Sauce on my 2nd story roof?

Hello, I've learned A LOT from this site in a very short time and am VERY grateful for all the help I've already received and especially the DIY access!!! Anyhow, recently bought a new PW and X-jet and now I want to clean everything I own, to include my roof (softwash). I initially intended to use the X-Jet to apply 'apple sauce' to my roof, but I now realize I can't get the proper ratio. Now, I'm searching for a decent way to get the job done (and keeping equipment costs below $500 total). I found a video on youtube of a guy using a Northern Tool Spot Sprayer. Although the exact model is not identified in the video, I think it's this one: NorthStar ATV Sprayer with Boomless Spray System — 26 Gallon, 5.5 GPM, 12 Volt | Broadcast + Spot Sprayers | Northern Tool + Equipment a 5.5 GPM, 200PSI unit. I've also found a couple other guys talking online about using a Northern Tool Spot Sprayer as a cheap solution to small roof cleaning jobs, but those sites don't allow DIY interaction, so I can't direct any questions to them.

So my question to you is, can I use the spot sprayer below to clean my roof? It's 12v, 16 gallon, 2.2GPM, 60 PSI, with a 3/8 hose and NorthStar pump (designed for pesticides). I'll need it for a 2nd story roof (I doubt it will supply enough PSI at that height).

NorthStar ATV Broadcast Spot Sprayer — 16 Gallon, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt | Sprayers | Northern Tool + Equipment

post-9330-137772424186_thumb.jpg

If not, can you guys offer any suggestions? I'd like a unit that will handle the 'apple sauce' mixture and can be used 2-3 time a year with proper maintenace.

Thanks!! - Rick

Rick is a home owner.

I cleaned a motel roof with a pump up sprayer last week. With my favorite EaCo go to chem. You don't need big fancy equipment if you have patience.

Are you going to walk the roof Rick or spray from the gutter?

On edit: Rick, you appear to want to do things properly. If that is the case, please find the link that shows that the manufacturer of your shingles approves the use of the ingredients found in applestuff. The ARMA has prescribed cleaning products. Check with them for detergent.

Edited by Timo

Are you going to walk the roof Rick or spray from the gutter?

Hey Timo, Ideally, I'd like to shoot it from a ladder, but I assume I'm goingto need to walk a majority of it if I'm using low end equipment. I definitelydon't want to make 50 trips up and down the ladder with a pump up!! And I don'tmind buying good equipment if I can get professional results!!

I do have a friend that's going to assist me and I'm equipped with professionalladders and fall equipment. I take safely VERY seriously, but I'm limited onexperience with this type of work. I don't mind reading and researching as longas I have a starting point (I've probably spent at least 4 hours a day readingabout PW'ing over the past six weeks, and I know that's still a drop in thebucket). Guys on forums that like always say, "use the searchfunction" can be annoying!! Searching something you have no knowledge ofcan be challenging! It's like trying to learn a second language from someonethat doesn't speak English!

So, I'm just a home owner, but I've been reading daily and I'm seriouslyconsidered the roof cleaning business as a side job. I don't see this serviceoffered in my immediate area, but I notice dirty roofs EVERYWHERE!! I assumeit's available from the local PW'ing guys, but I've just never noticed it advertised,and when I told my coworkers about it, they were all very intrigued and seemedto need/want the service as well. I've been in law enforcement for severalyears, and I'm ALWAYS looking for a way out (I don't find LE rewarding anymoreand honestly feel that roof cleaning would be a more fulfilling occupation).Like I said, this is just a consideration and I'm ALWAYS looking for a careerchange. I’m not the type of person tojump into a major decision like this, but it definitely has me thinking!!

Thanks for the all help. And BTW, I ended up purchasing a Pressure Pro 4GPM,4,000PSI pressure washer with a Cat pump and a separate unloader. Thanks again!

Rick

Here's your system. Super size the thumbnail to see the contents of the kit. Add the "Pump In A Box" upgrade and we'll even take care of the wiring! - PUMP KITS

Add the pump in box option. Add accumulator. Stay off your roof.

Save a life. Your own. Do not underprice roof cleaning. Ever. There are two price schedules in roof cleaning.

Regular price or free.

Let me know what you need help with.

Tim (I added the "o" at registration because I didn't think that the forum would give me "Tim").

Thanks Tim.

I had a feeling you might recommend that pump for my situation. I actually bought most my PW accessories from Bob already, and I enjoyed doing business with him.

And I hear you about staying off the roof. Like I said, I'm all about safety, and I'm not a fan of heights!

Hagerstown is not too far away. Do you have any buddies doing business in Delaware? I'd gladly volunteer some man hours for a chance to learn a few things.

Rick

Thanks Tim.

I had a feeling you might recommend that pump for my situation. I actually bought most my PW accessories from Bob already, and I enjoyed doing business with him.

And I hear you about staying off the roof. Like I said, I'm all about safety, and I'm not a fan of heights!

Hagerstown is not too far away. Do you have any buddies doing business in Delaware? I'd gladly volunteer some man hours for a chance to learn a few things.

Rick

Labor for learning is a good thing. I don't know any roof cleaners in Delaware. L4L is best practiced a few hours from home.