Sign in to follow this  
Pete Biggs

Painted Concrete Pool Apron

Question

I was wondering if anyone has washed a painted concrete pool apron? I have a customer who had painted their pool apron a Teracotta color. After they removed the pools cover they have normal run off and debris staining. They want me to wash it. I am worried that the heat will lift the paint. Does anyone have any advice for this type of job? I assume cold water is best to start off (I do have hot as well) and I would be using a surface cleaner for the job.

Thank you in advance,

Pete

3 answers to this question

I'd advise you to put in your quote that while you will take all due care, you will not be held responsible for any paint damage. All it will take is a small paint bubble to burst & it'll rip it off before you know whats happened.

Find out if it is actually a paint, or an acrylic concrete sealer stain. If it is a paint, be careful. They often don't bond as well as the acrylics, and are often less resistant to cleaning chemicals. With a surface cleaner, the trick is to slowly increase the pressure until you begin to blow chunks of paint off, then back it off a quarter turn. No, not really I'm just kidding. Don't do that!! If you do use the SC, just be very careful. Use warm water and low pressure. The safest thing to do would be to scrub it with a brush then gently rinse. What type of cleaner you need, will depend on if there are any stubborn stains. if it's just dirt, you may be fine with just water/surfactant. Do a test spot with whatever cleaner you plan to use, just to be safe. Most coatings will be fine with bleach/surfactants. I've also used used a percarbonate wood cleaner in similar situations with good (and safe) results.

David is right, just be careful. Also realize that some of the marks may actually stain the paint itself, and become impossible to remove. If it's a stain, that's good news, but if it's any kind of paint, it will likely peel with any real pressure. Always have contingency clauses in your contract for things like this.