Sign in to follow this  
steven

sodium percarbonate

I found a supplier for sodium percarbonate, soapgoods.com has 85% percarb and 13% carb.at about $2 per pound (50 lbs) that seems strong enough to tackle nasty deck jobs prior to stripping.

question is would 1 pound of this to five gallons of water be about correct?

thanks

Chris,

We only work wood, so I'm not sure of any other uses in the pressure washing trade. It is a very good carpet cleaner, among other household uses. AFAIK, sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in OxiClean.

6 to 8 oz. of percarb per gallon of water. Mixes best in warm water. Why would you use a percarb cleaner prior to stripping?

thanks you saved me 12 bucks, you are correct,it is not needed so no precarb before stripping, I feel though that maybe i should give it a quick cleaning with a brush (ten minutes) so i get the stripper to work on the stain and not dirt, whats your thoughts on that?

thanks you saved me 12 bucks, you are correct,it is not needed so no precarb before stripping, I feel though that maybe i should give it a quick cleaning with a brush (ten minutes) so i get the stripper to work on the stain and not dirt, whats your thoughts on that?

Steven,

Blow the dirt and mold/mildew off with a 1.5% bleach and soap solution first. Quick, easy, and effective.

It is not very effective for roof cleaning. You still have to come back and pressure wash the roof afterwards is my understanding. Sodium hypo is the way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that you can clean roofs with it. I know a company that uses it instead of bleach all together. ...

Patrick,

We only work on exterior wood. There is no way sodium percarbonate cleaners or high pH sodium hydroxide stain strippers kill mold, mildew, lichen and even moss. Nothing comes close to sodium hypochlorite (aka. bleach).

We use a lot of it on restorations and wood maintenance jobs. Just do a Grime Scene search on "BDA"!

You're up, Shane and Diamond Jim!

There is an unnamed company north of me using it and posting great reviews and before and after pictures of it. It is used for cleaning anything organic for CSI cleanup so why can't a super strong mixture work? I could be wrong but isn't it the same as h2 o2...?

I could be mistaken but that is what I was reading on their site.

Sent from the Fast Finish IPad

www.fastfinishor.com

What little Chemistry I remember, both the percarbonate and the Hypochlorite are oxidising agents, they will both oxidise organic matter, hypochlorite has more oxidising power linked to the reactivity of the oxidising ion.(as to how these oxidisers work on mold and mildew on non-porous surfaces , thats a different story)

Chlorine is further to the right of the periodic table than Oxygen, and its oxidizing power is higher.(it also has something to do with the bond formation of oxygen in the percarbonate compounds, not much energy to break them)

Bromine is also an oxidiser used for sanitizing hot tubs , it is lower down the periodic table compared to chlorine and thus less reactive.

Edited by 810F250
added

Patrick,

We only work on exterior wood. There is no way sodium percarbonate cleaners or high pH sodium hydroxide stain strippers kill mold, mildew, lichen and even moss. Nothing comes close to sodium hypochlorite (aka. bleach).

We use a lot of it on restorations and wood maintenance jobs. Just do a Grime Scene search on "BDA"!

You're up, Shane and Diamond Jim!

I am trying my best to improve my knowledge on proper prep for a wood deck/fence with a lot of mold/mildew.. What procedure do you recommend? I usually apply SH through my x-jet (same ratio as house cleaning) and let dwell for a few minutes before washing..

However some decks seem to have endless mold/mildew in the crevises and grains of the wood that I cannot seem to fully remove.. I never wanted to really increase the SH because it's rather hard on the wood from what I understand.. I have always paid close attention to your post because you specialize in exterior wood where I only tackle decks/fences to stay busy and not turn away jobs. While successful thru several wood jobs obviously I feel a lot of improvement in prep time and know how would save me a lot pain!!

I am trying my best to improve my knowledge on proper prep for a wood deck/fence with a lot of mold/mildew.. What procedure do you recommend? I usually apply SH through my x-jet (same ratio as house cleaning) and let dwell for a few minutes before washing..

However some decks seem to have endless mold/mildew in the crevises and grains of the wood that I cannot seem to fully remove.. I never wanted to really increase the SH because it's rather hard on the wood from what I understand.. ...

Hi Rob,

It really depends on the job. Most exterior wood here in NJ is not that bad with mold and mildew. That being the case, we use sodium percarbonate wood cleaners if there is no old stain present, and sodium hydroxide wood strippers if there is stain on the wood. Funny thing, I did a bit of novice research years ago. Final result was that sodium percarbonate is actually more effective in killing mold/mildew than sodium hydroxide.

We do not downstream or clean houses, so I have no idea of your ratios or % of sodium hypochlorite. For exterior wood that requires it, a 1.5% bleach mix is usually sufficient to kill growth, and does no harm to the wood. In a few extreme cases, we have strengthened that mix to up to 3%. That is a last resort, for "barely restore worthy wood" as bleach at that strength is rather hard on wood! Makes it look like Casper the Ghost. For crevices and tough areas, just flood with the mix and allow to dwell for a while.

Yes please confirm so we can help SH could be either sodium hypochlorite (bleach) or sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) . No clue what SB is.

SH is designated for both Hydroxide and Hypochlorite for some reason. However you cannot purchase SH (bleach in powdered form as it is explosive)( It is sold in powdered form like pool shock which I believe is calcium based..which is different and stable. So when referenced in powdered form it is Hydroxide (caustic soda or lye) In liquid it is chlorine bleach. SB or (SP) is Sodium Percarbonate ( Hydrogen Peroxide) in powdered form. The only thing that confused me is why it is labeled SB. But that is according to another lab geek that I received my information from. I thought SB would be Sodium Bicarbonate, and SC would be sodium carbonate but what do I know...

You would think wiki would have something but it does not clarify...