Sign in to follow this  
Staybright

Wanting to add a generator to an existing skid unit.

Hi everyone,

I have the following pressure washer: http://www.powerwash.com/commerical-and-residential-power-washers-and-pressure-washers/gas-powered-hot-water-and-cold-water-pressure-washers/26-rk-43-hot-high-pressure-power-washer.html........albeit 4 years old.

I am wanting to add a 2500 watt generator to this set up to have power in my rig. Has anyone ever done this before that could give me some tips on what it would ultimately entail? Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Your link is not working for me

I have never done that, but some thoughts...1, the generator is going to take about 5hp to run, that means 5hp less for the pump. 2 You would need to change the pulley on the engine. 3 do you have enough room for the generator?

You have to remove the .........albeit from the end of the link for it to work. I don't know about adding generators myself, so I can't help with that portion anyway.

You could buy the generator you want mount it next to your unit and run your fuel line from the generator to your skids fuel tank. You will have 2 motors running off one tank so you may consider upgrading your tank as well.

Or you would have to find a motor to handle both the generator head and the pump make a bracket for the generator then you will need a set of pulleys for a belt to run the generator and you should be good. If you got any fab skills this will be an easy task.

Marko

Hi everyone,

I have the following pressure washer: http://www.powerwash.com/commerical-and-residential-power-washers-and-pressure-washers/gas-powered-hot-water-and-cold-water-pressure-washers/26-rk-43-hot-high-pressure-power-washer.html........albeit 4 years old.

I am wanting to add a 2500 watt generator to this set up to have power in my rig. Has anyone ever done this before that could give me some tips on what it would ultimately entail? Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Hey Sean I'm just doing that now with some skids I put together on my flatbed. The Generator I'm adding is rated at 5000 watts which takes about 9-10 HP to run it. I basically need it for 2 burners which between the two when they kick on they may take up to 3600 watts. I have a Kohler 34 HP engine thats running a TSF 2021 General pump rated at 8.5GPM @3600psi. The odds of the Burners kicking on the same time are slim but if that happens they will take about 7hp away from this engine which may drop the rating of the pump a hair when it happens. I'm having the other burner built and its coming next week and will be put behind this engine.

In your case you need about 4-5 extra HP to run you Generator so you have to see if the engine is large enough on your Powerwasher to handle the generator. If it is then you need a Pully for the Generator the same size as the one on the engine so the Generator shaft turns at the same RPM's as the engine which is about 3600rpms. Without seeing pictures I would guess that your engine has a 2 belt pully on it for the pump. If you have room on your engine shaft you can add another pulley on it. If not your going to have to order a 3 groove(Belt) pulley for the engine. The Generator shaft can spin either direction. You have to work out the numbers and you need the HP and also the room for the generator. I'm with you that if you can add the generator why run another engine. But if you dont have the HP then a small generator with an engine me be your best bet.

Edited by John T

Generator must be run right at 3600rpm to get proper voltage.

..check your generator voltage, before plugging anything into it.

and ALWAYS turn off all accessories,

before lowering the engine speed on a system with belt drive generator.

Thanks everybody!!!! The genny will go onto an 18hp vanguard running a TS2021, dual belts. So is it safe to assume that adding a 2500 watt generator (losing approx 5hp) will bring my pump gpm down around 4gpm???? I'm going to check into the shaft length to obtain appropriate pulley and belt. I have a fabricator who can make me a mount.....he's currently outfitting a 2002 ex-police paddy wagon for me right now which this machine will eventually go in. I'm pretty stoked to get this rig on the road!

No, you'll have to back off the pressure unless you change the pump pulley too. The pump is still going to spin at the same speed, giving you the same volume, but the engine will no longer be able to push the pressure and the gen too. Keep in mind, too, that the 5 hp figure is for full load on the generator. A generator with no load on it won't use any horsepower.

Although I normally agree with Jerry (he's a smart dude), a generator rpm needs to be set according to frequency, not voltage. I have worked on generators that make 114 volts at 60 hz, and others that produce 125 volts at 60 hz. What you want is 61 - 62 hz no load, so the rpm drop under load will get you in the 60 hz range.

No, you'll have to back off the pressure unless you change the pump pulley too. The pump is still going to spin at the same speed, giving you the same volume, but the engine will no longer be able to push the pressure and the gen too. Keep in mind, too, that the 5 hp figure is for full load on the generator. A generator with no load on it won't use any horsepower.

Although I normally agree with Jerry (he's a smart dude), a generator rpm needs to be set according to frequency, not voltage. I have worked on generators that make 114 volts at 60 hz, and others that produce 125 volts at 60 hz. What you want is 61 - 62 hz no load, so the rpm drop under load will get you in the 60 hz range.

Very Good Russ !!!

..Although I normally agree with Jerry (he's a smart dude), a generator rpm needs to be set according to frequency, not voltage. I have worked on generators that make 114 volts at 60 hz, and others that produce 125 volts at 60 hz. What you want is 61 - 62 hz no load, so the rpm drop under load will get you in the 60 hz range.

Ya got me there Russ..

I frequently "simplify my answers" for a given audience, so as to deliver a simpler point.

Good catch my man !

Generator must be run right at 3600rpm to get proper voltage.

..check your generator voltage, before plugging anything into it.

and ALWAYS turn off all accessories,

before lowering the engine speed on a system with belt drive generator.

The magic number 3600 rpm is needed for the correct hertz (60) cycles a second on a 2 pole ac generator. 3600 rpM / 60 (60 seconds in a minute) gives you 60 rpS, hence 60 hertz.