Sign in to follow this  
COACHS

surface cleaner not spinning

First time taking out my new general pump surface cleaner and it would just stop spinning at times. It had a ton of water coming out of the nozzles but would not spin. I would give it a spin to manually try and get it spinning and it would work for a while, stop spinning, and then I would repeat the process. I double checked and I am meeting all of the gpm and pressure guidelines.

I had it connected to my small backup 3gpm 3500psi pw. The nozzels are 2.0, that should be a good match for the little 3gpm machine right?

Is the swivel defective? It was the first time using it. I can take it back and swap it but am I missing some obvious thing?

A 2.0 should lower your pressure a little but that's not a bad thing.

1. When it's shut off are the surface cleaner spinner bars easy to spin?

2. If they are, then your tips probably aren't angled steep enough into the concrete to spin the bar.

Craig,

Yes it spins easily.

The nozzle tips angle are not adjustable. They are welded. Tips are removeable though. It would spin when tipped on side with a kick start.

Edited by COACHS

You might need to grease that swivel if it has a grease fitting, if it did not get messed up already from not having grease in there.

I have seen about 8 of these that went bad within a few hours because the factory did not put enough grease in the swivel and by then it was too late.

Pump some grease in the fitting if it has one and give it a try.

Check the specs, it might need more flow to push the spray bar, like 4gpm minimum.

After further inspection it appears that the swivel is bad. When on its side it will spin freely sometimes and other times it will kind of grab and not want to spin very easily. There is plenty of water coming out of the nozzles, so they are not plugged. I am going to return the unit and get another one. Anyone ever use a general pump 20 inch surface cleaner model number 157451? Do you like it?

Off the topic a bit what temperature water do you primarily use when cleaning concrete?

Residential concrete without the grease and nasty stuff can be cleaned with cold water where the commercial dumpster pads, drive thru's need hot water and degreasers.

Sometimes the swivel will turn freely but it is just enough resistance that the water pressure will not make it spin, had that happen to some whisper wash swivels years ago until I got better bearings for them and they last a lot longer now. It only needs a little bit of damage on the bearings to cause enough resistance to not be able to turn under water pressure but will turn ok when spinning them by hand.

If it is possible, can you return it and get a different brand of surface cleaner and pay the difference? If I could, I would go with the Whisper Wash Classic or other Whisper Wash brand surface cleaner, Mosmatic or Steel Eagle as they have held up great over the years for me and a lot of other contractors out there.

Residential concrete without the grease and nasty stuff can be cleaned with cold water where the commercial dumpster pads, drive thru's need hot water and degreasers.

Sometimes the swivel will turn freely but it is just enough resistance that the water pressure will not make it spin, had that happen to some whisper wash swivels years ago until I got better bearings for them and they last a lot longer now. It only needs a little bit of damage on the bearings to cause enough resistance to not be able to turn under water pressure but will turn ok when spinning them by hand.

If it is possible, can you return it and get a different brand of surface cleaner and pay the difference? If I could, I would go with the Whisper Wash Classic or other Whisper Wash brand surface cleaner, Mosmatic or Steel Eagle as they have held up great over the years for me and a lot of other contractors out there.

Chirs, I sent you a PM.

I recently had an issue with my surface scrubber not spinning well. I cleaned out the nozzles and it is working great. That reminds me....I have to get replacement nozzles for it as I do not have backups.