Sign in to follow this  
all star pressure washing

Painting a ibc tote frame and plastic tote, anyone ever painted theres?

Anyone ever paint there tote and shark cage before ?

Im putting together a new trailer unit and Im wondering if anyone has painted the ibc tote and galvanized frame.

I figure a coat of metal etch primer should stick to the galvanized surface!?

Cant remember ever painting galvanized anything ever and have been painting for awhile lol.

and for the plastic tote itself what to use?

I have painted plastic plumbing pipe and other plastics with the krylon fusion but it not sure about the tote, maybe a quick deglosser or scotchbright pad to dull it up some and paint away?

any help is great, thanks!

Edited by all star pressure washing

Personally not a fan of ibc totes unless they're in an enclosed trailer. I really wouldn't waste the time or money trying to paint one. Clean it up strap it down and go.

I have one that I use on some jobs once in a while as it is for special projects and not used much.

I don't paint it because I need to see how much water is in it at all times so I don't run out of water and when the job is almost over, I want to have it almost empty, if you paint it, it will be hard to see the water level unless you install a water level sight glass or similar device.

since i just cut the top off of that ibc tote and made it shorter i can reach the stains to clean it, there coming out and wont have to paint the ibc itself afterall!

im going to buy some paint now to paint that ugly shark cage with and

ill post some before and after pics if i get the thing painted by tomorrow!

since i havent been able to find a smaller tote i cut down the 265 ibc to a 165g tote, installed my hudson float valve so it will only hold around 150g.

since cutting its a hell of alot shorter and much better for view out the rear of the truck lol. I have never seen anyone cut down a tote but after i looked at it i figured got to learn sometime!

Heres a few pics of the tote and frame and painted frame to, looks alot better than old galvanized cage lol

post-9800-137772434673_thumb.jpg

post-9800-137772434683_thumb.jpg

yes thats a quick connect on my tote filter so i can connect directly to machine so i dont have to wait for water to fill for a quick clean.

Yes this a very small, very simple or as Im sure I will hear cheap 4x8 trailer setup! Since I have hauled around a 10x16 trailer for years until it was all stolen,it was time to downgrade some weight and make it easy on me and the truck!

Havent painted the tote yet but for now it works great and thats all I need! whole setup has already paid off itself in 2 weeks so im pleased with the results!

put right at 2750.00 in the whole all new setup,trailer,pw,tank,plumbing,hose, wands, everything and has came put pretty good for the money and its all brand new.

still have to mount the water hose reel, chemical pump and wand holders but im almost done!

post-9800-137772434704_thumb.jpg

still waiting for the rain to stop so I can paint the top of the tote and not the sides just to cover up the ugly brown stain at the top.

I'll post pics of the tote after i get the pattern ready and its painted and done

post-9800-137772434691_thumb.jpg

post-9800-137772434698_thumb.jpg

Edited by all star pressure washing

Just an FYI.....galvanized steel does not need any special preparation for painting. The galvanizing causes a natural patina layer of zinc oxide to build up on the surface over time, which is actually a super good surface for painting with a product meant for metal. There is absolutely no need to clean or etch the surface of galvanized steel before painting. The layer of zinc oxide is better than any primer will ever be.