Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

Wife's PhD

Question

For the last several years my wife, Kim Gilligan, has been working on her PhD and is nearing the finish line. There is a comic that she reads dealing with grad school and she has entered a contest in which the winner will have their dissertation turned into a comic by the artist.

If you have time, please click on this link and vote for her. The best way to find her is to press Control and F at the same time and type in "Gilligan." PHD Comics: 2 Minute Thesis Competition

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

Done.

Real cool your wife goes to ODU. Great school that also had some good frat parties in the early 80's when I was right down the road from there stationed in Norfolk VA Navy base. Nancy Lieberman was a legendary female basketball player in my area and she just graduated ODU a couple of yrs earlier when I was in Norfolk in 82. She was still then the talk of the town in that area...Good memories

The best part is that it actually could be a comic, since she says the theory her thesis tested turned out to be false :D

You actually listened to it? I promised her that I would read it once she was done...regretting that now. She is quickly approaching 200 pages.

Done.

Real cool your wife goes to ODU. Great school that also had some good frat parties in the early 80's when I was right down the road from there stationed in Norfolk VA Navy base. Nancy Lieberman was a legendary female basketball player in my area and she just graduated ODU a couple of yrs earlier when I was in Norfolk in 82. She was still then the talk of the town in that area...Good memories

She got her masters from there, and is working on her PhD. She has not been in a class in over two years as she completed the coursework then but has been working on her dissertation since we moved to TN for her job. Originally she got her bachelors degree from RPI in Troy, NY.

I spent 10 years in Norfolk, arriving in 2000 to attend ODU. I am nowhere near as smart as her so I ended up with a bachelor's degree and called it good. In the 10 years I had been there, Norfolk changed drastically. I can only imagine what changes have occured since you left.

Sorry I Didn't read your wife's dissertation but your talking about a guy who went to a 2 yr college and 4 yrs later I was nearly unbeatable in Pool,Fooseball,space invaders and never lost a game in table hockey(Debating on joining a table hockey league) oh yea and I still need 6 credits for my associates. I did vote for your wife though of course. I'll vote again now because I am on my laptop instead of my I-pad which I voted on earlier. If I remember I'll vote from my droid phone tomorrow.

Norfolk was a wild town when I was there but the best fun for us Navy Guys was VA beach and I heard that's changed a ton as well. Glad I served and got that out of my system back then:excitement:

Thanks everyone for voting, unfortunately she did not win. Que sera, sera. Either way, she is hoping to defend in late September or early October and graduate in December. She is under the impression that once she graduates I will have to call her Dr. Gilligan. Ha.

We are heading to Norfolk tomorrow so the wife can defend her dissertation to her committee on Friday. She had wanted to defend in October then graduate in December but her committee could not get their stuff together. Now she will defend Friday and submit her final copy next week leaving her all spring semester worry free. She is already planning graduation party, and a graduation cruise.