Sign in to follow this  
BigDogMaine

PWNA Conference is it worth the cost?

I am doing the math today on becoming a pwna member and going to the convention in Orlando in October. With flights, rent a car, hotel and classes I’m figuring $2100 with out food or the wife. My question is am I going to come back with $2100 worth of knowledge.

for me personally I would spend that money on going to a respected and proffesional to train in the area of pressure washing that I do ( wood .) I would pay a fee to this professional and spend a week learning everything I could. That to me would be a wise investment.

I am doing the math today on becoming a pwna member and going to the convention in Orlando in October. With flights, rent a car, hotel and classes I’m figuring $2100 with out food or the wife. My question is am I going to come back with $2100 worth of knowledge.

Hey Bigdogmaine-- you have to fill out your signature here.

If you never gone to a PWNA Convention it's definitely worth it to go once and check it out for yourself. Your flights are probably your biggest cost going there. That's the part that sucks but once you get there and you get into the feel of what going on there your going to probably love it. The memories you'll have will be excellent.

The Convention itself is relatively inexpensive. The classes are very good and you would be getting a a huge discount to take one of the certification classes.

If you can afford it, it's worth it to go one time.

Steven is that in the form of an offer?? Your only 5 hours away.. John I have tried to add additional information but it won’t let me add any more to the signature line on the edit page. As far as the classes go wood, environmental and roof would be $700 for all three. That’s not exactly cheep. For me to spend any amount of money I need to know I can get a return on it or I won’t be in business very long.

Big dog trust me I aint the one, yet!! lol . you got some time to practice this winter, snow comes quick up in the county. Im getting my plow equipment ready now, lol

what area fo p/w are you practicing now? res.,comm, wood, concrete ??? Straight hands on training is always the best for knowledge.

Steven is that in the form of an offer?? Your only 5 hours away.. John I have tried to add additional information but it won’t let me add any more to the signature line on the edit page. As far as the classes go wood, environmental and roof would be $700 for all three. That’s not exactly cheep. For me to spend any amount of money I need to know I can get a return on it or I won’t be in business very long.

So the question is will it be worth it? Thats the $2100 question for you and that's alot of coin for most people especially if there just starting. Your from Maine and you know what I would do I would go right to the top and call the President of the PWNA Board Bios | Eric Clark | Power Washers of North America who also happens to be from Maine. His name is Eric Clark and if you call him tell him I recommended for you to give him a holler. He's got a nice business and he can give you some better insight if it's worth it for you to take this leap at this stage of the game your at.

If you call Eric hit me up on a PM or post it here how it went..

Good luck.

Just one note about the cost of training....$700 to get specific training is cheap. If you were to go to school for any other profession you would spend many, many , thousands to get a quality education. You would also get only what you put into it to learn how to do that proffesion. These offered training sessions more-or-less hand feed you the info pertinant to your area of work and then after testing you, certify that you understand the material and should be able to go home with the knoweledge able to help take your business further. Hands-on training can also be great, but the training offered by the organizations are usually a compilation from many in the industry designed to short-cut you past the problem areas (they already made the mistakes) and give you the proper techniques to get you successful right away. Certainly get the training YOU feel is correct for you, but don't discount the programs already in place. They are provided to help with your success, and should allow you to learn for a whole lot less $$ than most other industry trainings....

The real question is, are you (your business) in a position to where you will get proper ROI from this.

No doubt these classes could affect the profitability to your business.....but could this money be spent more wisely elsewhere? Could spending this amount of money on your website (either by up grading or better SEO) be smarter???? I'd say absolutely!!!! Could spending this amount of money on upgrading equipment so you can wash faster and make more money be money well spent??? I think that is asked and answered.

Good Luck!

I dont discount the trianing offered by these orgs. i am sure they have valueble insight. but a week in the field with a pro is priceless.

You'll get no argument from me, couldn't agree more.

I would definitly like to attend one though. It would be a great experience to meet some people and hear the latest industry buzz. also buy some new equipment and attend some classes. I bet the commaraderie would be strong. maybe next year.

I would definitly like to attend one though. It would be a great experience to meet some people and hear the latest industry buzz. also buy some new equipment and attend some classes. I bet the commaraderie would be strong. maybe next year.

That's why I would recommend going to at least 1 PWNA Convention. Everything you said above does happened there. You'll meet contractors just starting out all the way up to a few multi millionaires who have been at the Powerwashing business for years who have had the same bumps in the road along the way as many contractors will have and yet they overcame them. You can learn a ton hanging around people like that.

Being around successful people has a way of breading success because if they can do it...so can you. Alot of this I learned from going to Conventions, Roundtables etc.