Sign in to follow this  
HomeDIYGuy

What stain for new PT deck- AC or RS- having trouble deciding on colors..

Question

Ok, so the new PT deck is almost complete (about 16'x19' + stairs), and it seems like staining it before winter is a good idea. I'm located in Virginia, so temperature gets very hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and we get a good amount of rain. Can anyone recommend a good sealer for this temperate climate? I am strongly considering Armstrong Clark and also Ready Seal. I'm looking at a semi-transparent stain, and a not very dark stain since the deck will get direct sunlight, and don't want it to be too hot/hard on the wood. I was considering the "Pecan" stain or maybe even the "Amber" stain in Armstrong Clark, but am having a hard time finding samples of the stain, especially on PT wood. I'd prefer the stain to not be too reddish. To be honest I like the natural color, but I'm trying to strike a balance between something that will look good and last. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!post-9990-137772438407_thumb.jpg

Edited by HomeDIYGuy

48 answers to this question

I need to try some of this A/C stuff I have heard from a lot of people that it is the bomb. We have a project coming up that is over 400 decks and has F&P on them, can we prep them and put A/C on top?

I need to try some of this A/C stuff I have heard from a lot of people that it is the bomb. We have a project coming up that is over 400 decks and has F&P on them, can we prep them and put A/C on top?

Brian,

Using A/C on decks will bring you more pleasure than sinking a forty foot snake on the 18th to win the match!

Happy weekend all!

Jake

Amber is more of a rich golden color. It's my favorite.

Beth

Where using that on 2 decks next week for the first time.. Also where stripping 2 houses next week as well.. I'm trying to sell my customers on trying A/C Amber as well... We'll see.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.yes.

Is anyone having problems with the word yes ?

... We have a project coming up that is over 400 decks and has F&P on them, can we prep them and put A/C on top?

Brian,

Holy smokes! Is this the same guy who once stated, "I really don't like to do wood"? No matter what the size, 400 decks is a ton of wood!

A/C should do fine with any remaining F&P prepped with a good wash.

Ok thanks guys, I guess I'll give amber a shot then. Any comments regarding how much stain I should order and if I should do one or two coats? :) I guess the question really is how much coverage you get out of a gallon, closer to 150 or 200?

Weather is finally warming up! Was a long winter this year. Thanks!

-Mike

Edited by HomeDIYGuy

Brian,

Using A/C on decks will bring you more pleasure than sinking a forty foot snake on the 18th to win the match!

Happy weekend all!

Went golfing the other day and started out with 7 pars on first 7 holes. I had to hit my driver and lift my right foot off the ground and twords the fairway. Like Gary player step thru. They made fun of me but I still took there Money. 8th hole doubled, hard par 3? It was fun to be out. I hope when the foot is better I do not keep this swing?

Bring on the nice weather. How about A/C Toners?

Well finally got around to staining my deck yesterday w/ AC Amber. Looks good so far and took longer than expected (what's new). It's a second story deck so I stained all the exterior facing railings/stairs/beams/posts which took up more stain but it's well worth it. I'll snap some pictures later today and post them but just wanted to say thanks for the advice folks. We'll see how the stain lasts longer term. I ordered 6 gallons and have a little under a gallon left over. I'm not sure what you guys use normally for staining decks, but I pretty much did everything w/ a 2.5" brush (for the little crevices and railing spindles) and 4" brush. I bought a "stain pad" for the deck boards but found that it doesn't get in the grooves between the boards so ended up just doing it w/ a 4" brush.

How long should I let it dry, 24hrs? Is foot traffic fine after 24hrs or better to be safe and wait 48? Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a plan. I don't want the little pup running out on it and getting stain on his paws.. :p

Here are a couple pictures of the finished deck. The only "mistake" I think I made is that some areas under the railing are a little darker because they got more stain, but all in all it's not really noticeable and looks very good. Also, despite probably overapplying it in some spots (due to the railings dripping), it doesn't seem to leave a sticky/tacky surface behind like some stains, rather just left an extra film that I wiped off w/ a rag in some spots. Now just to see how long it lasts.

[ATTACH]20048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20049[/ATTACH]

post-9990-137772456428_thumb.jpg

post-9990-137772456441_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! Question for you pros.. How do you keep the deck boards under the railing from getting more stain than the rest of the deck, I'd guess just work faster/hire another person? The staining took me about 6-7hrs by myself (I'm probably a little slow this being my first time and I'm kind of anal), doing the railings really are a tedious job. The deck boards maybe took me an hour. Regarding the stain, I'm definitely happy w/ the color of the AC Amber. I'd say it's just like a cedarish color stain but with some brown which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for the advice/help. On to the next project..

Edited by HomeDIYGuy

Mike,

Stain the railing/spindles/fascia/posts first. Throw an old tarp/bedsheet/sheet of cardboard under the spindles to catch dripping stain, and darkening the floor boards underneath.

Two advantages. First, you get the hard, "tedious" part of staining done first. After vertical wood, the horizontal deck floor and steps are a breeze. Second, any stain with linseed oil does film and if overapplied, will look a bit darker.

You can fix this by applying a very light 2nd coat onto the floor and "feathering in" when you reach the darker areas under the balustrade. Congrats, you did a very nice job and the color looks great!

sheet of cardboard

That's what i was going to say cardboard but i usually paint pad the excess from under the rail and blend it it like Rick said feather it in. I think it's going to lighten up for you in time to where you never see it.

Normally we brush it out as it drips on the floor and then do two coats on the floor so it blends out any areas under the rail that got more stain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks for the tips everyone! It's a little darker under the railings but not bad enough to bother me so I'll probably just leave it be. I'll remember the cardboard tip next time I do the railings.

Great work Mike,

Please realize that now is the best it will look, ie weather will have it's way with the coating and deck. Please put away the magnifying glass, add chairs, tables, plants, BBQ and enjoy.

This has been a great thread Mike,

Many thanks,

Jake