Sign in to follow this  
JJC77

Significant white residue after cleaning deck

I installed a new pressure treated deck surface 4 months ago, and began prepping it to stain yesterday. I used Olympic Premium Deck Cleaner (Sodium Hypochlorite / Sodium Hydroxide) on the entire surface, and now have a significant amount of white residue on my entire deck surface. I have looked at several related posts on here, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether this is normal, and if not, what I need to do to neutralize the (Sodium Hypochlorite / Sodium Hydroxide) and return the wood back to it's natural color. I have attempted separately to use warm water and a scrub brush, oxalic acid and a scrub brush, and several rinses, and nothing seems to work. I have heard from one source that is coloration is normal due to the bleach in the cleaner, and won't be noticeable after staining, but I'm not sure I buy that. Please see attached pictures for detailed view. Any help on what my next step needs to be is appreciated!post-10007-137772439775_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

JC

post-10007-137772439752_thumb.jpg

post-10007-137772439765_thumb.jpg

Edited by JJC77
Added signature

That doesn't look like it is on the deck, that looks like it is the deck.

Viewing on a phone, it appears to be bleached out fuzzy wood fibers.

iPhone - Tapatalk

Got a little fuzz as well. Break out the sander.

Yes it should have been nuetralized after stripping.

That would also have brightened up the wood.

Citralic or oxalic ( with dwell time and right strength of mix ) will get you there.

Its just fuzz which is little wood fibers that came up from cleaning. Best to sand them all off. You can stain them but they will dry lighter and can keep the stain from getting down as far into the wood.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I would say u screwed up. At 4 months with pt u can bleach, then rinse with out furring.so the cleaning solution was to strong / or left on to long /or u used to much pressure cleaning and the grey counldn't be washed off. Buff it off.

James, among the rest have pointed to the cause as bleach effect and I would say that it was too strong as well, or left on too long and not completely rinsed to avoid the damage.

If you have not sealed the deck, repeat the process with a stripping solution but cut the strength with water to make it only 1:4 (stripper:water) and then once

you have brushed it and washed it, follow with Oxalic acid neutralizer/brightener at labeled strength and allow to dwell until the wood returns to its light yellow

color. Reapply as indicated by darker patches of wood which indicates the neutralization is incomplete.

Rinse well.

Rent a square buff sander and use 60grit paper to remove the fuzz, blow off the deck and then stain.

Rod!~

First off, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question. I know you don't have to do it.

I have not done anything more the with the deck, because I wanted to figure out if there was a way to fix this. So if I want restart the entire process, as suggested in the comment from Beth n Rod, which chemical should I look for in the ingredients of the stripping solution? Not sure if you can name products on here, but is there a suggested Oxalic acid neutralizer/brightener I should be looking for?

I see this is an older post however I am experiencing the same problem. I used SuperDeck Stain & Sealer Remover. I called the store about this and was told when I use the "SuperDeck Revive" it would go away. Well no it does not and I tried a small area using SuperDeck Deck Wash, no difference. still chalky looking . One person noted it was due to being 4 months old my deck is a year old.

How did you cure this? 

Does the appearance resemble that of the photos in this threads first post?

If so, the way to remove it is by buffing.
If not the same, then pics would be helpful in identifying the issue and proposing a solution.

Rod

His pictures look like my deck and living in the boonies no tool rental close therefore I have purchased a sheet rock sander (on a schick, similar to Pepe) 

Thank You