Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

measuring sq footage of balusters and spindles

Question

Anyone have a quick and easy formula for calculating square footage for balusters and spindles? I have seen tips on this topic before but I am not coming up with anything when I use the search function.

7 answers to this question

I just charge by the Lft not sqft If the rail is 3'tall it's 3.00/ft if it's 2'tall it's 2.00/ft.

I know somebody knows your answer i read it somewhere Ken Fenner talked about it.

The rail system is usually three feet high. It typically has two sides. And then there is the band board. It all adds up to seven.

If anyone were to argue that there's not really seven square feet there (no one will), I would suggest that a solid surface of that dimension would be easier to deal with than all of those planes.

So maybe just figure it as seven "units" to avoid the discussion of surface area.

Edit to add: The last deck I cleaned was done with a surface cleaner, I was speaking to the math equation above, not speaking as a wood guy.

Edited by Timo

Yea just charge by linear feet, easier to measure and calculate.

On a typical deck all I just measure the floor square footage, length of railings, and count the number of steps and number of posts.

Nicer decks obviously have other stuff to account for (benches, lattice, planters, etc) but a regular deck is the same 4 set of numbers

What about when considering coverage rates for stipper, neutralizer, and stain? Say for instance I am expecting to get 100-250 sq ft per gallon of stain (depending on brand, condition of wood, etc....) I am just trying to make sure I calculate the correct amount of stain for the area of the deck as well as railing and balusters.

That was a typo. I meant up to 200 sq ft. I have seen labels saying depending on type and condition of wood 80-200 sq ft of coverage per gallon. I am assuming like most products that 200 is only under the best possible conditions and to expect less coverage.

I used to measure the balusters a long time ago but it took a long time to figure out all the different measurements and left room for error in the customers favor. After years of estimating decks you can just look at a deck and get an idea on what its going to cost the customers to get it done without measuring it. Say if you have a $600 deck and the deck measures 10x20 then you know you need to charge $3 a square foot ( balusters included). I hope this helps you.