Sign in to follow this  
Grahams

Pressure Washing Pavers/Sealing Question

Question

I have a client with a small driveway(around 500sq ft). I have never done pavers before, will there be any problems pressure washing them(using whisper washer classic)? I got this job, by giving a landscaper my business card at the grocery store(I work there part time). He gave me a call, and wanted a quote for his own driveway/house. I gave him his quote but was skeptical about it, he wants a house washing and his driveway/sidewalk done.

Everything is really clean except a lil algae in the pavers cracks in a small section, and the sidewalk is fairly dirty.. So I figured he was just "checking my rates", so I gave him a low price a.) because it looks like a simple easy job. b.)If I could get in with this guy and he could swing me a few roof/driveway jobs that would be really good(I told him he will get a percentage of every job I get from him). I charged $50 for the driveway, probably take an hour tops and $75 for the house washing, basically just going to rinse it..

I figured I could land a sealing job off of him. How hard would it be to get a gallon of sealer from home depot and use a pump up sprayer(or even my roof cleaning set up sprayer) to do his small driveway? I have never sealed a driveway but I heard it's straight forward.. clean it, let it dry good, and spray it evenly. Is it something anyone can do, or only a "very experienced Professional" can do?

Question #1: Will the pressure washing remove too much of the sand in the cracks?

Question #2: Should I try to get the sealing job or pass it up?

Question #3: If I bought a gallon of Kret-Seal for $25 from home depot, how much do I charge to seal this small driveway?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

really? out of the 20 people, nobody can give any insight..? I don't understand why people don't reply to more threads.. I do this job Tuesday, and need some advise on trying to obtain a sealing job or passing it up?

I wrote a reply this morning and then deleted it before posting because;

1., Yes, improper pressure washing will remove too much sand from paver cracks,

2., No. You are going to lose your ass on the cleaning, no use to get it chapped too.

3., $250.00 labor plus materials. Is Krete-Seal what the paver manufacturer recommends?

4., He's not waiting for you to give him a slice of future cleaning pie, he's trying to figure out if you know enough about cleaning to not embarrass him if he recommends you to a client in the future.

5., I care. I want to help. There is just so little to work with here.

6., Pass on the sealing job.

That's the kind of reply I was looking for! So what is the "proper" way? I don't see how any way wouldn't be proper unless someone used a wand and sprayed into the cracks..

Also should I spray chlorine on it? I also spray chlorine on concrete driveways to brighten it up and kill remaining algae. These pavers don't really have any algae except for one section..

Careful offering him a discount if you expect him to send jobs your way. If he sends jobs your way, it may be because of the price you charged him. When you charge a customer a full price, they may be upset as they had expectations of a much cheaper price.

I am not sure I have ever seen a sealer that offers coverage of 500 sq feet per gallon. According to what I have seen, you may need a couple more gallons of sealer. I have not done concrete sealing, but I believe you can use a pump up sprayer then back brush. There is also the time that you have to cut in with a hand brush around the edges to take into consideration.