Sign in to follow this  
Douglas Hicks

Wiring battery to battery

We installed an auxillary battery in the trailer to power the interior lights. There is a 110V battery charger to keep the aux battery charged. The battery still dies after 1.5 to 2 hours. Can I run a couple of wires to the pw battery to keep the aux battery charged? The distance between the batteries will be about 20 feet. I figure on installing a battery isolator between the batteries. The engine is a v-twin Vanguard, putting out 20 amps.

We installed an auxillary battery in the trailer to power the interior lights. There is a 110V battery charger to keep the aux battery charged. The battery still dies after 1.5 to 2 hours. Can I run a couple of wires to the pw battery to keep the aux battery charged? The distance between the batteries will be about 20 feet. I figure on installing a battery isolator between the batteries. The engine is a v-twin Vanguard, putting out 20 amps.

Yes, you could.

But if it were me, I'd get a bigger aux battery, and then get another big aux battery and tie those two together sitting side by side.

Then I would change the lights out to led.

We use group 31 big truck batteries.

I have my lights wired right to the battery on the washer.

You don't want to leave them on too long but if your washing at night and the machine is running you can leave the lights burn all night without a dead battery.

If you do run wires over to charge the other battery you will need a nice size cable to transfer the charge. It's got to be more than just a thin little wire.