Sign in to follow this  
DCOutdoors

Multiple Project Job

Question

I am doing an estimate tomorrow for a painted wood house from 1902, a brick walkway and patio, a concrete drive, and steep pitched roof. So, here are the questions:

The House: This house was built in 1902 and is painted blue. While I haven't seen the house in person yet, it looks like it is in good shape from Google Earth (I realize this is not an up to date image). What is the best house mix to use and what precautions should I be aware of. It is a single story at one end and two story on the other end.

The Roof: It has a very steep pitch and is under many trees. I won't be climbing the roof - that's for sure! Can I shoot this from the ground through a PW (I know this is not the best solution). I do have a pump if need be but need to buy a battery and rig a quick system of some sort (advice here is good too).

Brick Patio & Walkway: What is the best way to avoid effervescence? Best solution mix? Best way to avoid having to re-sand?

Concrete Drive: At last, I don't have to ask about this one!

After all of this, I may not even get the job, but at least you will have taught me well. Thanks in advance.

David

9 answers to this question

I am doing an estimate tomorrow for a painted wood house from 1902, a brick walkway and patio, a concrete drive, and steep pitched roof. So, here are the questions:

The House: This house was built in 1902 and is painted blue. While I haven't seen the house in person yet, it looks like it is in good shape from Google Earth (I realize this is not an up to date image). What is the best house mix to use and what precautions should I be aware of. It is a single story at one end and two story on the other end.

The Roof: It has a very steep pitch and is under many trees. I won't be climbing the roof - that's for sure! Can I shoot this from the ground through a PW (I know this is not the best solution). I do have a pump if need be but need to buy a battery and rig a quick system of some sort (advice here is good too).

Brick Patio & Walkway: What is the best way to avoid effervescence? Best solution mix? Best way to avoid having to re-sand?

Concrete Drive: At last, I don't have to ask about this one!

After all of this, I may not even get the job, but at least you will have taught me well. Thanks in advance.

David

Test your regular house wash mix on an area that would be easy to repaint if it goes wrong.

Use a ladder stabilizer and apply the roof mix from the gutter line. No, you are not allowed to ruin your pressure washer and their landscaping using a pressure washer to clean a roof.

Brick walkway, assuming that it is brick pavers with mortar - downstream house wash mix or direct apply with roof mix depending on severity of staining. Pressure wash with surface cleaner using between six and one thousand psi. Efflorescence is not an issue with established brick walks when proper cleaning technique is used.

If the walks are sand set pavers, go get trained before you quote.

Carry yourself like you know what you're doing. Present the price like it's an everyday thing. Pretend that the job is yours but don't be surprised when they choke on the total.

Do not spend any of the money that you expect to make on the job until after the job is complete and the check as cleared.

Holler back

Carry yourself like you know what you're doing. Present the price like it's an everyday thing. Pretend that the job is yours but don't be surprised when they choke on the total.

I've got the confidence part down pat... No problem with presenting a "Shocking" price and being shocked about them being shocked It's the rest of it I want to do right. BTW, I would have put an injector at the end of the wand (like an x-jet), not through the hose and reels. However, good point with the over-spray and I may not have gotten a strong enough mix.

How are you going to do roof? I would delay out until you are properly equiped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Told them I wouldn't walk the roof and they needed to get the branches and other stuff off... but I would help with that. I suggested they wait a while and the price added to everything else was enough to get them to agree. This will give me enough time to set up a pump system that should work. Then I can do everything from the gutter. This is the worst roof I have seen around here so if this works, I could become rich just doing roofs and retire in a couple of years!!!

Take plenty of before and after of your work especially the roof shots. Guys in Florida can make a good living just doing roofs alone where here you have to diversify.--Good luck.

Take plenty of before and after of your work especially the roof shots. Guys in Florida can make a good living just doing roofs alone where here you have to diversify.--Good luck.

Well, I completed the entire project (minus the roof till he can get past paying me for everything else). Everything I told him that will probably happen, happened. Some paint came off and some green is still on the house because I couldn't get it off without stripping the paint. I told him when he is ready to paint the house, call me and I will use the pressure washer to help strip it! Beth reminded me in another post to test for lead... ooopppsss... good point (why didn't you think of that John LOL). Bottom line: the customer was happy - two older women who walk the neighborhood was excited about how the house looks now (I gave them a stack of cards) - and I got paid (even got a $40 tip). So, mission complete.

For those of you who assisted in growing my knowledge - thank you - please help me to continue learning how to do this right.

I have had a couple people ask me about stripping paint for paint prep. I politely decline as I am not interested in that kind of work (especially with concerns of lead paint.) I have a couple of different contractors I use to refer people to for other things (electrical, plumbing, etc...) but have not found a painter that I would not be concerned with competing for other pressure washing jobs.