Sign in to follow this  
NJWashingGuy

Part Timers

Question

What is a part timer, by definition, in the power washing industry??

Are part timers an important part of this industry??

Are YOU a full timer or a part timer??

Do part timers devalue this industry??

Is there a negative connotation to being a part timer? If so, why??

Does Ron need to run a benefit for part timers?? .......(taken from his offer in the Albany event thread...)

Lets hear what the industry has to say.............

15 answers to this question

Honestly I think it makes no difference if you are a part timer, full timer or a weekend warrior. I think either person can contribute to the industry. Just because you are a part timer doesn't mean you do not know what you are doing. I have learned PLENTY from both full and part timers and continue to do so.

There are many reasons why a company is only part time, maybe they are just starting out, maybe they cannot find the right help so they only take on so much, maybe they already have a full time career and can only do it part time and enjoy doing it. It makes absolutely no difference how many hours a week a person works. Whether they work 10-20 hrs or 30-40 hrs a week, it does not make them any more or less knowledgable then the next company.

I started out as part time and that's because I already had a full time career that I loved. I accidentally got into this business and decided I loved it as well. So I was part time for five years until I retired from the Police Department. Well being part time had its privileges, I was able to juggle both and therefore able to build up to full time. If I did not retire, then I would STILL be a "Part Timer"

Point being, maybe people just enjoy having 2 careers.

IMHO.

Honestly I think it makes no difference if you are a part timer, full timer or a weekend warrior. I think either person can contribute to the industry. Just because you are a part timer doesn't mean you do not know what you are doing. I have learned PLENTY from both full and part timers and continue to do so.

There are many reasons why a company is only part time, maybe they are just starting out, maybe they cannot find the right help so they only take on so much, maybe they already have a full time career and can only do it part time and enjoy doing it. It makes absolutely no difference how many hours a week a person works. Whether they work 10-20 hrs or 30-40 hrs a week, it does not make them any more or less knowledgable then the next company.

I started out as part time and that's because I already had a full time career that I loved. I accidentally got into this business and decided I loved it as well. So I was part time for five years until I retired from the Police Department. Well being part time had its privileges, I was able to juggle both and therefore able to build up to full time. If I did not retire, then I would STILL be a "Part Timer"

Point being, maybe people just enjoy having 2 careers.

IMHO.

What he said!!!!

(except substitute Critical Care Registered Nurse for police department)

Mathew Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen full timers that have less skill than a right handed person using their left hand to work, and visa versa. It's not a matter of full or part time. It's your dedication to the craft and how well you master your skill and work the business.

Beth

What is a part timer, by definition, in the power washing industry??

Are part timers an important part of this industry??

Are YOU a full timer or a part timer??

Do part timers devalue this industry??

Is there a negative connotation to being a part timer? If so, why??

Does Ron need to run a benefit for part timers?? .......(taken from his offer in the Albany event thread...)

Lets hear what the industry has to say.............

Mike let explain that I think someone seasonal and part-time are two different animals.

Contrary to your remarks about part-timers needing a Benefit are just the opposite of my thought process. I'm thinking that John & you being full-time peace officers means you might not need the work as badly as someone who is full-time relying on this income solely to feed there family. John was Vary proud he lived in one of the wealthiest communities and his job paid him well.

So there's two trains of thought, I'm a part-timer with enough income from my full-time Job I can hold out for higher paying Jobs. Or the thought process is I can Low-ball because I have a full-time job that feeds my family and do not need to make the margins of a full-time contractor.

This could go either way, but lets face it you or John will not need any charity anytime soon because you both run great businesses and make a bunch with your full-time Jobs.

I like to see full-timers because I think across the Board its just a better over all goal. Yes weekend warriors are in a different class of there own.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen full timers that have less skill than a right handed person using their left hand to work, and visa versa. It's not a matter of full or part time. It's your dedication to the craft and how well you master your skill and work the business.

Beth

I Agree with this, mastering the Craft is what its all about.

What he said!!!!

(except substitute Critical Care Registered Nurse for police department)

Mathew Johnson

WOW Matt I didn't think your full-time nursing still. You have a ton on your plate, distributorship , contractors business and full-time Nurse. Did I miss anything, your a Busy guy. Oh and Instructors and School!!!!

Full timers have more skin in the game. Part timers who subsidize prices with their day job only hurt the industry. It depends on the person in reality, their discipline and dedication to running a great business. Part timers who are doing well wont be part-timers very long. A real job can't do anything a successful power washing business can't. That's my opinion, thanks for asking. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WOW Matt I didn't think your full-time nursing still. You have a ton on your plate, distributorship , contractors business and full-time Nurse. Did I miss anything, your a Busy guy. Oh and Instructors and School!!!!

WOW Ron, you didn't read the post correctly, it said substitute registered nurse for police officer. The word in front of Police is retired. Therefore it would read to say... Retired register nurse. Thanks for posting incorrect information about my life here in a public forum

Mathew Johnson

WOW Ron, you didn't read the post correctly, it said substitute registered nurse for police officer. The word in front of Police is retired. Therefore it would read to say... Retired register nurse. Thanks for posting incorrect information about my life here in a public forum

Mathew Johnson

Thanks for correcting the confusion on your life, congratulation you changed your last bed pan.:) Nurses have a rough job i would rather pressure wash a pig barn than deal with Bodily fluids. Seriously nursing is no walk in the park, these people have difficult jobs.

I was kind of wondering because a birdie said your hydro tek business was booming. Glad your finding success, I hear your events are really good to. Most likely the only one in the industry I have not attended.

Your invited to the Jersey event Next month Free, Jack can come to free to as a professional Courtesy.

CIMG0644.jpg

Phoenix Round table seminar 2008

Educational events to improve need fresh innovative ideas. I'm bored with the regular seminar style events, remember phoenix hands on actual demo on hand and instruction. Classroom is great and you gave a good safety Course I'm sure the guys appreciate the help.

Your have a great event Matt, congratulations on going full-time.

Edited by Ron Musgraves

Beth

What Beth said, and Matt,Tom and Mike. The one thing I can add was that yes I was able to charge on average higher for residential then most because I did have my other career to fall back on and face it.. You have to think your the best at what you do. I felt when I was a 1 man show I gave my customers the best quality for a higher price.

Today I still have many of those Customers but I no longer do the work. I went thru at least 20 guys to get the ones I have today. My guys I consider the best and I pay them accordingly.

The The PWNA - The Power Washers of North America and the Pressure Washing Resource for which I Belong to both do not consider anyone less for being considered a part-timer of full timer. They treat them Equally which is why I support them both.

I would expect the failure rate of part-timers would be greater. Sort of like sticking your toe in the water and deciding it is just to cold right now.

Maybe.. I bet you the bankruptcy rate is higher amongst full timers who think Powerwashing is easy money. Everyone in this Industry should be treated with respect unless there known as lowballing hacks.

So let me get this straight "Wash Me", Every "Part Timer" is only testing the "water"? Sooooo, you started full time? You woke up one day and said, " I think I will start a pressure washing business and I will have 40 hrs worth a work from this moment on" EVERYONE starts out part time. EVERYONE!!!!!!

So let me get this straight "Wash Me", Every "Part Timer" is only testing the "water"? Sooooo, you started full time? You woke up one day and said, " I think I will start a pressure washing business and I will have 40 hrs worth a work from this moment on" EVERYONE starts out part time. EVERYONE!!!!!!

I recommend no one starts part-time, sure no one has enough work the day they start. Maybe they sell 39 hours a week

I bet that there are plenty of self proclaimed full timers that are actully washing part time. In essence, it is their only job, they just don't have enough to wash.

I feel like that after 28 years, I only worked about 2 hours last week. Started high-rise washing back up because a client bought a building in Phoenix and didn't want to use the company that did the work in the past.