Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Countersinking Nails

Question

One thing that I always do for my decks is to countersink all nails/screws. I will literally crawl across the deck and countersink the nails with a pin and 5lb maul and if it's screws I use an impact driver. Doesn't take that long but I usually end up with one Popeye arm. It's looking like I've been able to group my decks this spring earlier in the season so March & April are looking busy for deck resto's.

Problem is I have a bad tendon in my right elbow (I think it's Tennis/Golfer's elbow) and doubt I would make it through the first deck. Already concerned about pulling hoses and regular painting projects. I am looking at possibly looking for a power hammer, or even a 'hammer drill', that I can start using to quickly move through a deck. I have a paslode framing hammer that I was thinking of trying but I hate to ruin that if there is something else available.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Tonyg

19 answers to this question

One thing that I always do for my decks is to countersink all nails/screws. I will literally crawl across the deck and countersink the nails with a pin and 5lb maul and if it's screws I use an impact driver. Doesn't take that long but I usually end up with one Popeye arm. It's looking like I've been able to group my decks this spring earlier in the season so March & April are looking busy for deck resto's.

Problem is I have a bad tendon in my right elbow (I think it's Tennis/Golfer's elbow) and doubt I would make it through the first deck. Already concerned about pulling hoses and regular painting projects. I am looking at possibly looking for a power hammer, or even a 'hammer drill', that I can start using to quickly move through a deck. I have a paslode framing hammer that I was thinking of trying but I had to ruin that if there is something else available.

Any suggestions?

You're looking for a palm nailer.

Stanley Bostitch PN50 Mini Impact Nailer - Amazon.com

Somebody (Milwaukee?) makes a cordless/lithium powered one now.

You can even do it left handed.

It works on screws too. I had an old head tell me once that threads were for takin' 'em out.

You're looking for a palm nailer.

Stanley Bostitch PN50 Mini Impact Nailer - Amazon.com

Somebody (Milwaukee?) makes a cordless/lithium powered one now.

You can even do it left handed.

It works on screws too. I had an old head tell me once that threads were for takin' 'em out.

Perfect! I've never seen them before. I may try the Milwaukee M12 Cordless Milwaukee M12 Cordless Palm Nailer Kit, 2458-21, red lithium battery - Amazon.com

Timo, what do they cost?

Under $50.00 air driven. Under $125.00 battery powered. Not everybody loves Milwaukee rechargeable stuff, but it should hold up well for just a deck.

Perfect! I've never seen them before. I may try the Milwaukee M12 Cordless Milwaukee M12 Cordless Palm Nailer Kit, 2458-21, red lithium battery - Amazon.com

We used to use them to drive 20 penny spikes.

They have a collar around the anvil that might keep it from countersinking. A few moments with the collar on the bench grinder will get you all the countersink action you need.

Problem is I have a bad tendon in my right elbow (I think it's Tennis/Golfer's elbow) and doubt I would make it through the first deck..

Any suggestions?

Acupuncture really helped my arm cause it would get pretty weak on me bad and my right hand getting numb while spraying. My forearm used to kill me till I got poked with them needles really helped!

15 yrs of spraying a trigger has taken it's toll on me!

Good to hear you have wood lined up for the Spring. I'm starting to get 2-3 week back log picking up 1-2 jobs every day.

Acupuncture really helped my arm cause it would get pretty weak on me bad and my right hand getting numb while spraying. My forearm used to kill me till I got poked with them needles really helped!

15 yrs of spraying a trigger has taken it's toll on me!

Good to hear you have wood lined up for the Spring. I'm starting to get 2-3 week back log picking up 1-2 jobs every day.

never tried acupuncture but I'm not opposed to it. been planning on going to the Ortho for a shot. Had them in my knee, shoulder, and back and they usually work great so I thought I might try my elbow this time.

never tried acupuncture but I'm not opposed to it. been planning on going to the Ortho for a shot. Had them in my knee, shoulder, and back and they usually work great so I thought I might try my elbow this time.

Made me a believer a lot cheaper at $30 than the 10 K for hand surgery for sure. It's helped since it's been months since I've had the acupuncture.

Good luck hope you find a fix for your arm!

Oh yeah I think that mini nailer is your ticket for what you doing.

So you see more decks for restoration vs new construction?

So you see more decks for restoration vs new construction?

Only about 10-15% of mine have been new. Most in the 10-15 year range or older so I sell heavy on complete sanding, nail setting, fastening boards, etc.

This seems to be typical for me so my arm is hurting just thinking about it. I think this one is scheduled for mid April though.

post-3028-137772449247_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772449267_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772449284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

To the people who bought a palm nailer how do you like it and was it a success .

I bought one but unfortunately I think my compressor is not strong enough.  It's old and I don't use it for nailers or other guns and it just didn't have enough power to countersink the heads.  I made a rod to use with it rather than depending on the piston to do the job alone.  

-Bump!-

Here is another idea.

We used for the longest time a rental companies roofing nailer with an empty mag.

Just set the nail depth guage to where you need it, do a few tests and there you go.

Place the nailer over the intended nail and pull the trigger.

We do a 500sqft deck in just about 30 minutes with this technique.

Eventually, we bought a nailer and compressor (Bostich framing nailer and Dewalt oil-less compressor) to eliminate rental fees and trips to and from the store to

pick up/return the units rented.

Rod

Interesting idea that I would have never thought of Rod. 

I also have a Bostich framing nailer and a Dewalt portable compressor.  I'm going to give it a try once this dreaded cold weather stops.