Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Gutter Cleaning Price Survey

How do you charge for gutter cleaning?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. How do you charge for gutter cleaning?

• ...by the foot
    • ...by the hour
    • ...by the house
    • other (list in thread)

I'm curious about what the average cost of cleaning out gutters is around the country. This would be for those of you that clean them out by hand, not blasting them with high pressure. Do you charge by the foot? by the hour? by the house? How much?

Thanks

I price based on the style of house, and the degree of difficulty. It could be a small house, but if the gutters are high, and the roof is steep, the price will be higher than a house that is single story, walkable roof.

I've done enough that I know how to charge just by looking.

I charge a buck a foot. Seems high but people here seem to wait until they are packed full of muck before cleaning. Plus each house with a pool screen has a gutter between it and the house and the opening is narrow so it makes it very dificult to clean. I do make it a minimum of $125 on 1st time calls.

Interesting.....I have one company in the area that I would consider competition and he is mostly commercial flat work. Sure I get the "lowballers" (other thread) but as far as my customer base we are pretty confident in retaining them and they pay the price of what we ask for. I couldn't imagine cleaning gutters out for under a $100.00.

Maybe the pricing is different because of where we live. Henry, let me ask you a question without getting into too much details ~ How much would you charge just to power wash a standard 2 car driveway with a modest application of concrete cleaniner on it say white ox or something?

Henry,

It's not you and one other company. ( I know who you mean and yes he does tons of gutters - CHEAP) We do them too. ;) We are not as cheap as the other guy you are speaking of who runs in the paper. Personally I don't know why you don't raise your prices. If the other company (we both know who) is the only cheap guy in town and already doesn't get to people fast enough, the market will bear the increase. We raised our prices last year, and we get repeat and new business.

People pay more than that to take a family of 4 to dinner these days for crying out loud, or to the movies if you include snacks.

Beth

Henry,

It's not you and one other company. ( I know who you mean and yes he does tons of gutters - CHEAP) We do them too. ;) We are not as cheap as the other guy you are speaking of who runs in the paper. Personally I don't know why you don't raise your prices. If the other company (we both know who) is the only cheap guy in town and already doesn't get to people fast enough, the market will bear the increase. We raised our prices last year, and we get repeat and new business.

People pay more than that to take a family of 4 to dinner these days for crying out loud, or to the movies if you include snacks.

Beth

Hey Beth,

When I said me and one other company, I was referring to the people that were advertising right along with me for the last 15 years. Your fairly new into the gutter cleaning game. (no offense intended)

I have raised my prices this past year and it's true I could raise them even further and I will eventually when I'm ready.

Beth, I didn't mean that you just started doing them, as I said I was referring to the people that were advertising right along with me for the last 15 years. This was not meant to slight you or how long you've done gutters or been in business. This actually had nothing to do with your company at all, that's why I didn't mention any names. I don't want you to take my comments personally. I try not to make any reference to you all at all to avoid these kinds of things but I don't think I should have to censor myself any further than I already have when I post on this board.

Henry,

I am not quite sure where your posts are going as it relates to the topic. You go to great lengths to reveal what you make in the gutter cleaning business and why you do not have the desire to increase your price at this time....that is all fine and dandy but how does it relate to the topic? I apologize if I missed something in the previous posts but I am trying to find out how much money you make in the gutter cleaning business relates to a price survey.....

I tip my hat off to you for your success.....

For us...we would probably never would reveal how much we make in our business unless:

1. you are the IRS

2. My CPA

3. My wife

In that order :)

There is an old saying Henry..."you can't THINK your way into good LIVING....you need to LIVE your way into good THINKING".

Hey Carlos,

The post your referring to came about because someone asked why don't I raise my prices. Honestly, I just got tired of beating around the bush trying to explain what I do and why I do it. I'll remove the post though, the point I was trying to make was lost so there isn't much reason in it staying.

Henry,

I gotcha on your point. Again, my question was not to jam you up or anything...I was lost in the shuffle as to why you choose to disclose the money you made/make. Usually people around here don't like to talk about the "ching-ching" unless they are making a ton of "bling-bling" :) ~ Obviously you are and you should be damn proud of that Henry.

I guess for us we just make it a practice to not disclose too much about our financial affairs -- whether it be good or bad.

My post to Henry had a "little rub" to it but I think he knew that. I do recall seeing a poll not to long ago that asked what everybody was making $ and if my memory serves me correct....not too many people responded. I guess it is just one of those things that business owners would rather not discuss in public ~ at least that is my impression.

I agree, disclosing company financial informantion is not commonly done. I too doubt many are comfortable disclosing proprietary information such as their annual revenue. Your annual revenue, all things being relative, is not the only measure of success. For example, many folks are happy being small, running no additional crews, and picking and choosing their work. These folks are by no means less successful or less professional. They may even have a higher profit margin. It depends on the business entirely.

But the topic...pricing... linear feet? number of stories?

:)

Beth

Hey Carlos, I'm proud of what I've accomplished for my company, family and the guys that work for me. Not how $much$ I've accomplished. Know what I mean?

As for posting on how much you make, discussing what you charge is about the same thing, I don't mind talking about either personally.

Once again, I price by the style of house and pitch of the roof...

I'm curious about what the average cost of cleaning out gutters is around the country. This would be for those of you that clean them out by hand, not blasting them with high pressure. Do you charge by the foot? by the hour? by the house? How much?

Thanks

I charge By the house , ranch 100- raised ranch 125- Mc mansion 150 and up + tax 6% hand cleaned (with ladder and stabliser bar not to bend gutter) downspouts un blocked if needed.leaves put in bucket and dumped in woods at end of job gutterface wiped clean of all dirt, do between 5 and 10 a day. quality is the seller, no leaves on ground NO MESS. always leave magnetic buisness card .95% return customer rate. may sound alittle cheap but quality and neatness brings in other work and return work .

I charge between $75-$125 with Aprox $95 being about average. For whatever reason I can't charge that much for this type of service here because the field to do this is completely saturated.