Sign in to follow this  
Kristopher Pettitt

Hiring a sales person

I've been thinking for several months about hiring a sales person to go out and sale my companies service. So I wanted some advice on how to go about this, and if it would be the right call for me.

Is commission, hourly, or both better in this type of industry? I'm asking because sales is my weakest point in this business and has been holding me back. I've tried several methods to over come this, but to be honest it's just not my cup of tea and hiring an experienced sales person might be the solution. Just wanted some thoughts and advice on this. Thank you.

Kristopher,

It may be easier and better to hire good employees and you do the sales. No one knows "your" business like you do. I find it easier to sell our services then to send someone else. And it keeps me off the wand and being able to enjoy life. As well as the time to attend committee meetings, association meetings, etc. Just my opinion. And my experience. Plus the salesperson will cost you more than the typical laborer.

If you were a PWRA member you could see this one.

It was really good and really expensive!

eMyth: How to Sell When You Hate Selling

We also added today:

eMyth: Leaders Go First

eMyth: The Right Training For Your Brand

Edited by Thad
took out link to another forum

If you were a PWRA member you could see this one.

It was really good and really expensive!

eMyth: How to Sell When You Hate Selling

We also added today:

eMyth: Leaders Go First

eMyth: The Right Training For Your Brand

That's great, Thad. Kristopher, there are quite a few selling books, audio tapes, web things etc that can help you too. I'd recommend to look into the art of selling type books and little by little, apply what you learn to every new customer. Pay close attention to what they need and don't over sell your services. Ultimately, people buy because they like, trust and respect you. These are key points. Find a way to relate to your customer and find common ground and interests. Many times you can close a deal and never even really talk about the job! After talking to them a while, gain their trust...be yourself... then tell them the price and give them a date with a couple times you can be there.

That's great, Thad. Kristopher, there are quite a few selling books, audio tapes, web things etc that can help you too. I'd recommend to look into the art of selling type books and little by little, apply what you learn to every new customer. Pay close attention to what they need and don't over sell your services. Ultimately, people buy because they like, trust and respect you. These are key points. Find a way to relate to your customer and find common ground and interests. Many times you can close a deal and never even really talk about the job! After talking to them a while, gain their trust...be yourself... then tell them the price and give them a date with a couple times you can be there.

Great post Craig.

Zig Ziglar is good reading.

Kris, I've been looking to hire a salesperson for the last few years. No one decent called. I was planning on paying commission only 20-30%. Thanks for reminding me of the webinars Thad.

Yep, be sure to check them out, Tom. I know you said the printing discount was a big savings but be sure to use your PWRA membership to the fullest. We have added so many new benefits since you joined!