Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2013 Sealer/Stain Poll - Which one(s) are you using this year?

Which sealers / stains are you using for 2013?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which sealers / stains are you using for 2013?

• TWP
    • Armstrong Clark
    • Ready Seal
    • Olympic
    • Flood (CWF, or other)
    • Sikkens (SRD, or other)
    • Cabot's (ATO, or other)
    • Behr
    • Sherwin Williams
    • Penofin
    • Messmers
    • Extreme Solutions (Wood Tux, or other)
    • Baker's
    • Other ( share in thread)

Question

27 answers to this question

I use the Baker's Gray Away like most of you know and a whole lot of it between retail and applicating.

I'm already going through 120 gallons a week and it's only April!

No fair Shane...you're in TEXAS.

We WISH we had your year round weather....

Beth

Yes it is very nice but you would not like to spray in 20-30 mph wind gust not fun!

No comment as of yet. Last year we used Cabots, Benjamin Moore,Sikkens and Wolmans and none of them was that great.

Like Matt Johnson's says -- every year I want to get away from staining anything but every year we get to many jobs that it's to hard to walk a way from.. And when a house or deck comes out nice there is nothing better to look at in any type of work we do..

I want to ask permission to send a copy of the voter result graphic to a painter friend of mine. I'm trying to get him to stop thinking like a painter when it comes to decks, and start thinking like a wood restorationist (if that's a word LoL). In my opinion, even though the trades are very similar, there are some differences in how one approaches the project as well as the brands used.

My painter friend has asked me to strip and prep a couple of decks for him, and I'm trying to "convert" him, in a sense. Regardless, the main thing to keep in mind is that the customer deserves the best for the money they spend.

Brad, You have my full support. Painters have been burned with old time techniques and new time products. We can do great things with wood.

Jake

Hey Rod,

I mostly use Ready seal on decks that are exposed to the elements. The "claim to fame" with Ready Seal is it doesn't mold. Most sealers here turn black fast. I like Sikkins on covered decks as it will look like varnish as it is re-applied. I do most siding with Ready Seal because it is easy to keep up and helps protect against dry rot.