Sign in to follow this  
John T

One for the "Woodies"-Don't ya hate the grey colors??

Question

Here's a picture of a house we did that I tried in Vain to talk this homeowner out of staining it Cape Cod grey. This house was covered in black mold and mildew that was sped up because its on the water in the Hamptons. It cleaned perfectly and a nice Natural Cedar type color would have really turned this house into a head turner but the wife demanded Cape Cod Grey.. We all know the wives are the "House" bosses. Personally I hated it as did the husband but he lost out.

Its reasons like this we don't mess with colors anymore. Money to some is everything but I have a hard time doing something that I hate no matter the money involved.

You'll all do much better if you do not think like I do:)

look how this house was destroyed--Yuk.

10 answers to this question

When this stain completely dried it evened out to look like that weathered beachy look which I don't have a picture of because we never go back of course unless there's problems.

I'm look for another picture of a house we did that we actually were staining it Grey where the same thing the wife wanted that color. This one was a problem because the second day there the husbands family was there and what a problem this was. They hated the Grey and the only one who liked it was the wife again. On this other house she was over ruled and we ended up striping out the new stain and restained it natural Cedar..

The reason Why I'm posting this pics now is because we are stripping two houses this week and one of them the homeowner is leading toward staining it grey and on this one were going to strip it but if he goes grey a painter will do it thats affiliated with him. If he goes natural in color where going to do it.

Should be interesting.

My Slate Grey has tons of pigment and looks great next to slate....I don't mind it really

post-658-137772453099_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772453087_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772453106_thumb.jpg

Edited by seymore

I dont do houses, but I hate putting gray on a deck. Feels wrong to me. It holds up really well though, seems to be a good pigment in gray stain. I just never think it looks right, especially a semi trans when you have bright clean yellow pine to cover over

I dont do houses, but I hate putting gray on a deck. Feels wrong to me. It holds up really well though, seems to be a good pigment in gray stain. I just never think it looks right, especially a semi trans when you have bright clean yellow pine to cover over

Very similar thinking. We get paid well to get rid of anything that's real grey in color.. Then to re-stain it a weathered type grey??

In the past we stained houses light semitransparent green(totally gross), snottish yellow(even grosser) amongst some disgusting colors. Earth tone colors that are along the mahogany,cedar families to me are beautiful but at heart I was never a fan of staining or painting anything... I just want to clean clean and clean some more.. Crazy right?? Yup this is where I will openly admit I am crazy at.. I love CLEAN:)

Grey holds up better, looks better ,ages better ,cleans better , and is better. I have grey hair!

Of course you got grey hair. As a founder of BDA don't all the leaders there look like they have George Washington wig color hair due to SH??

Grey holds up better, looks better ,ages better ,cleans better , and is better. I have grey hair!

Good place for that like button .....my beard is Gray so i'm the salt of the pepper!

Hey i'm not the one who has to look at it so if the homeowner likes Gray then I like Gray.

Different strokes for different folks..

Good place for that like button .....my beard is Gray so i'm the salt of the pepper!

Hey i'm not the one who has to look at it so if the homeowner likes Gray then I like Gray.

Different strokes for different folks..

That's because your a true wood restoration artist where I'm a Sifi Channel combo wood,vinyl, parking garage,Bldg monster that sprays to clean.. Stains?? Our goal is to remove stains.. But we also apply them as well.. Go figure.

That's because your a true wood restoration artist where I'm a Sifi Channel combo wood,vinyl, parking garage,Bldg monster that sprays to clean.. Stains?? Our goal is to remove stains.. But we also apply them as well.. Go figure.

I just like to give enough options to the colors i carry. Too many options makes it to difficult for color pickers. Reddish brown ,brown, golden brown ,gold and Gray.

I'll special order an Ebony if needed to go with Ivory.

Woodie only 4 Ever BDA 4 LiFe