Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Show us your ugliest deck

Question

19 answers to this question

The hubby was thrilled with it. The wife was not. She was not around when he made the decision.

But...it paid well.

Show us YOUR ugly duckling! We ALL have them.

Beth

Sorry I have never stained a deck or anything that looked hideous i'm ashamed of!

Hey - the workmanship on that deck was there. The application was sharp. It was the placement of them and the colors - chosen by the client - that I didn't care for.

And everyone has a job they are not wild about.....

Beth

We never did add this one to our web site. Like I said they got a top quality job, but the colors were just to ....something.

I remember trying to get him to two tone it in a more conventional way. Ultimately, his deck, his choice. She was sooooo pissed at him. She was out of town until the day we finished it....got back in time to see us collect a check.

Beth

Beth,

Your job wins, hands down. There can be no uglier deck on God's green earth. Was this guy color blind? That is no where near "brick", its a nightmare mix of pink and a bit of purple. Just looking at the pictures, it makes me feel queasy, like a terminal case of sea sickness. His wife should have slit his throat and hired a good attorney. Any fair minded judge would have let her walk after seeing the evidence.

This can't hold a candle to your entry, but it is one of the worst decks I have ever encountered. Minimum of 3 acrylic coats over clear western red cedar. ~ 50% of the cedar was rotten to the core, you could stick a finger through many of the 2 x 2's of the nicely designed balustrade. Foul acrylic was the only thing holding much of it together.

Very sad, I advised the owner to hire a demolition company.

post-170-137772453259_thumb.jpg

Beth,

Your job wins, hands down. There can be no uglier deck on God's green earth. Was this guy color blind? That is no where near "brick", its a nightmare mix of pink and a bit of purple. Just looking at the pictures, it makes me feel queasy, like a terminal case of sea sickness. His wife should have slit his throat and hired a good attorney. Any fair minded judge would have let her walk after seeing the evidence.

This can't hold a candle to your entry, but it is one of the worst decks I have ever encountered. Minimum of 3 acrylic coats over clear western red cedar. ~ 50% of the cedar was rotten to the core, you could stick a finger through many of the 2 x 2's of the nicely designed balustrade. Foul acrylic was the only thing holding much of it together.

Very sad, I advised the owner to hire a demolition company.

That deck looks like it can be stripped and replace all the spindles and then restored.. But those jobs we no longer do.. Can't be married to a nightmare like that when my guys just cost to much to deal with.... A nightmare.

Sorry I have never stained a deck or anything that looked hideous i'm ashamed of!

Oh yea.. Wait to you see my disaster on my own deck with my 2 chocolates who ate half of this deck..

Also the scary thing is my deck is almost the opposite at what Beth is showing..

I just took a picture of a section of it now.. The rest Is Much worse.

Here's my deck--Like the "Bleach Bandit" says, this shoemakers kids have no shoes.. I should torch my deck.. errr Scratch that:)

John, you colors are at least in the right places. I could not get the homeowner to let us install the red on the floor and the lighter color on the rails.

And Rick - it was wet and an old sucky camera. But it was sort of.....well....a cross between pepto bismol and brick.

ICK.

Although we did install the colors beautifully and with the best of skill!!!!

Beth

Here's my deck--Like the "Bleach Bandit" says, this shoemakers kids have no shoes.. I should torch my deck.. errr Scratch that:)

John,

Hate to break this to you, but that is not a deck. It's a dog kennel! Did you get that color from Beth? Hah! Must be leftover Cabot from some job. Ever notice Everett's collection of old stain at the farm? In today's world, would possibly qualify for a haz-mat site.

Nice chocolate labs. Would probably have fun with my female Springer Spaniel.

Wow Beth I agree you win this round! ;). Years ago I remember staining a deck with a solid that reminded me of human flesh. I stopped a couple boards in.. I couldn't take it anymore. I made the homeowner sit on it for 24 hours to make sure they could live with it.. I know I couldn't! They changed the color choice the next day ;)

This thread motivated me to start doing my own deck...I moved in November and couldn't ignore it anymore haha ...

Charlie,

It is a great way and time to shake out equipment at the beginning of the season. Otherwise it will be late August before you have the chance. Of course, you're not married and don't have to put up with the Honey Do's.