Sign in to follow this  
John Burdine

Staining method on windy days

Question

What exactly is everyone doing to stain on those days that are too windy to spray? I'm talking about those days where even tape and drape, spray shields and all the works is still too risky.

I use Ready Seal and when its a second story deck on a windy day I've usually used those one-hand small jug sprayers and deck pads, and just sprayed right into the pad and applied like that. I've also tried a bucket and a painter's mitt with good results as long as the deck isn't prone to splinters. I've also used powered rollers and a hurricane brush on the decking. I've used rags, mini rollers, and paint brushes. I also just ordered a spindlease (spelling?) to try on the spindles. Nothing is perfect though so I'm open to some new ideas.

17 answers to this question

Yeah John is right try another day but if you are able to charge more to brush it in by hand get it. I deal with wind for fences and i'll rather wait then spray the whole neighborhood with stain.

Have you looked into the hurricane brush? http://sunbrite.stores.yahoo.net/hurricane-brush-and-accessories-for-deckster.html

We hand stain

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I know you don't do houses but what about a stockade fence? Do you spray anything or is it all hand stained?

What tools do you use on the rails?

Hey John I know your question is directed towards Charlie.. I love to hear how he handles this. He is in my mind an Artist when it comes to staining people's decks.

We on the other hand spray everything we can especially spindles, rails etc. We back brush to stop the drips and the over spray. Spraying in itself is an art. Everything gets hit where a brush may not get to... But Charlie is an Expert and he is truly an Artist. Sometimes I look at the money aspect of the job.. But still I would say my guys are not in Charlie's league..

In some ways wind is your friend in the wood business. It dries out the wood effectively so you can apply stain.

If it is too windy to spray, break out the buckets and brushes. Takes longer and is a bit boring but teaches humility and makes one thankful that they are not a painter.

If it is too windy to spray, break out the buckets and brushes. Takes longer and is a bit boring but teaches humility and makes one thankful that they are not a painter.

Lol.. Ain't that the truth.

Classic is right! Ralph Machio lives in my old town now and living a normal life.. His early movies were great flicks.. Hopefully I run into him one of these days:)

We spray lattice and fences that's about it. I don't care to mess with the overspray and now that Im doing the employee thing I'd rather not have to worry about them spraying and not being as cautious as I am.

So we brush, everyone is pretty quick at it. You get a rhythm going and use 4 and 6 inch brushes can knock out a lot of wold. I appreciate the kind words John, I dont think hand staining versus spraying makes the work any better, but it is a strong sales tool for me.

A lot of customers have bad experiences with spraying so it has a stigma to it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2