Sign in to follow this  
Timo

Stain identity help needed

Question

We washed a mold infested deck yesterday. The client says that the three year old stain was crappy but that she didn't think that this much stain would come off when we removed the mold and dirt.

I don't stain decks but I am looking for input as to what "crappy" stain this might have been. Her husband thinks it was a stain and sealer. Thompsons he thinks.

She knew that her husband would have to re-stain the deck this year but she didn't think that there would be this many bare spots from us washing it.

It was a $300 wash job and I'm sure that it will all work out in the end but if someone can identify the stain, I'll go buy her $300 worth.

[ATTACH]20021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20022[/ATTACH]

iPhone - Tapatalk

post-4439-137772456032_thumb.jpg

post-4439-137772456044_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Looks like an oil, looks fairly old. Should come off with a sodium hydroxide based stripper. Hopefully you don't need to boost that, depends on if it is a hybrid. Always good to ask if they have a can left over. Without knowing what it is you can't re-coat over it without risking incompatibility and failure.

Beth

That's beautiful country right there, just saying.

I agree Guy. I thought of you this morning when I took this picture from the other side of the creek from the stain job.

I stood there with my mouth hanging open and didn't even think of grabbing my camera when the Eagle flew overhead. Gave me a chill.

[ATTACH]20036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20037[/ATTACH]

iPhone - Tapatalk

post-4439-137772456138_thumb.jpg

post-4439-13777245615_thumb.jpg