Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Diggin the Semi-Solid

Question

Although I have done a handful of the AC Sequoia, this is the first time I really used the semi-solids and I really like it. The customer wanted something that would last longer so we went with the Mountain Cedar Semi-Solid. I did this one the first time a few years back and couldn't talk them out of the Redwood Toner - which barely made it the year in full sun. I think I'm definitely going to start pushing the semi-solids over the semi-transparents.

For those of you that have used a lot of the semi-solids, what kind of life expectancy do you get compared to the semi-transparents?

post-3028-137772456583_thumb.jpg

post-3028-13777245661_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772456632_thumb.jpg

post-3028-13777245665_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772456669_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

I rarely would even include them in my samples because I was partial to the semi-trans and was afraid they would be too opaque. Anxious to try a couple of the other colors now.

post-3028-137772456792_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772456837_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772456897_thumb.jpg

Well a deck that old and dry a semi solid was a good choice. If I was you push the semi solid on older decks instead of the semi trans and I bet you get a better sqft /gal on those older decks with a semi sold?

Looks exactly like Cedar Semi to me! Great looking job. Color retention has been good with the cedar semi for us. I've had some issues with colors like Rustic Brown and Sierra Redwood for some reason. Pigments must be different or something as the color retention hasn't been as good.

Although I have done a handful of the AC Sequoia, this is the first time I really used the semi-solids and I really like it. The customer wanted something that would last longer so we went with the Mountain Cedar Semi-Solid. I did this one the first time a few years back and couldn't talk them out of the Redwood Toner - which barely made it the year in full sun. I think I'm definitely going to start pushing the semi-solids over the semi-transparents.

For those of you that have used a lot of the semi-solids, what kind of life expectancy do you get compared to the semi-transparents?

Hello Tonyg,

Your two tone work makes our stains sing. I am pleased you like our semi-solids, but don't give up on Cedar Semi and Amber for newer pt pine. Our toners are very popular on the west coast only. These are the folks that have overlooked the airlines and automobiles as a possible cause for ozone depletion and blamed the paint and stain industries. Go figure!?!

Many thanks Tony,

Jake

Hello Tonyg,

Your two tone work makes our stains sing. I am pleased you like our semi-solids, but don't give up on Cedar Semi and Amber for newer pt pine. Our toners are very popular on the west coast only. These are the folks that have overlooked the airlines and automobiles as a possible cause for ozone depletion and blamed the paint and stain industries. Go figure!?!

Many thanks Tony,

Jake

Thanks Jake.

The only thing we have here is PTP amd most are not in what I would consider good shape. I do like the semi-trans but probably will promote the semi-solids more with existing decks. I do a few newer decks, but not many, and would continue using the semi-trans on those. My preferred color for new PT is the Amber but also Cedar Semi and a couple of blends. I do not like the reds on new PT. For older decks I prefer the CS, a combination of Rustic Brown/Cedar Semi, or Mahogany/Rustic Brown. On very old wood I would typically use the Cedar Semi as I don't like how the semi-trans of the Rustic Brown or Mahogany dries out and looks inconsistent on the knots or heart grain.

All the stains look great the first 6-12 months but I usually try to choose stain based on how they wear in over time. The Cedar Semi & Amber seem to wear in more naturally looking, where the reds and browns will show obvious color differences between areas that may wear faster or where the grey lines may stand out more. Depending on age and condition for instance that color difference is amplified.

I would love to hear how the Mountain Cedar and Woodland Brown looks after the first year or so.

Edited by Tonyg

Tonyg,

This feedback is huge for my company. Charlie sends me new boards of pt pine for testing as pt pine is totally unavailable in Calif. If any of you have older boards of pt pine that you can send my way for testing, I would be most pleased.

In the meantime, any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again Tony for your support and excellent work,

Jake

That semi-solid looks good! I expected the semi-solid to look a little more "paint" like but it honestly doesn't look very different than my semi-transparent. I guess I'll definitely keep the semi-solid in mind down the road when the wood starts to weather more. Nice job!

My neighbor has a semi-solid (not sure what brand, and almost a cream color) and it practically looks like paint to me. Perhaps that's the color more than anything..?

Edited by HomeDIYGuy

Semi Solid Mountain Cedar / Oxford Brown 3:1 mix.

I know the deck soaked up stain but I got much worse coverage than I expected. Keeping a five of the Natural around saved the day as I realized I was going to run a few gallons short. I usually average 150-175sf with the semi-trans and I estimated 115sf because of the age of the wood. I ended up getting 85sf with this one. I assume it's because of more solids.

For those who have used a lot of the semi-solid, do you normally get less square footage compared to the semi-trans?

post-3028-137772460936_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772460961_thumb.jpg