Sign in to follow this  
steven

"Super Deck" stain. A Duckback product.

Question

Has anyone ever used super deck stain? has anyone ever tried to remove it? I would like to hear your results. I stripped a deck the other day with this product on it and man was it tuff to come off.

27 answers to this question

I've heard of it mostly used in the NW I think like Portland/Oregon area up that way.

I forget what type of oil it is I couldn't tell from the web site it said some 3 types of oil system for the hardwood stain?

You have pics of what you cleaned?

yea, superdeck....

linseed, tung and teak oils as i recall.

I used them @ 5 years ago, went on nice....... and thats when the trouble started.

Oils never dried properly and caught tons of mildew, had a dozen decks turn black.

Was tough to get off too, same reason so oily, to bad the mildewcide in it sucks.

best you test the wood to be sure you got it all off b4 you coat.

yea, superdeck....

linseed, tung and teak oils as i recall.

I used them @ 5 years ago, went on nice....... and thats when the trouble started.

Oils never dried properly and caught tons of mildew, had a dozen decks turn black.

Was tough to get off too, same reason so oily, to bad the mildewcide in it sucks.

best you test the wood to be sure you got it all off b4 you coat.

Did it have Rosewood oil in it I think it was?

I remember guys talking about mildew problems now that you mention it Phillip.

P.S that's a cool dog in your avatar what kind is he or she Samoyed?

yea maybe you right about the rosewood oil, that and not the teak maybe.

But ohhhh, the mildew this stuff grew, still gives me the shakes, but in their defence the company covered @ $ 10,000.00 of the cost to fix.

Thats Blizzy, he is an American Eskimo.

phil

Stripped it twice with hd 80 and then Spent 4 hours sanding still had a tint of stain left. Heart Redwood was the color. Real dark for a transparent. I sure wouldn't want to deal with that stuff again.

I highly recommend test spots and carring as many products to strip finishes as possible. It is get getting worse out there!! be prepared ! I just lost a few jobs for the cost but nobody else can do it . So slowly people will find out what they need to do. Write a blog about new products that suck!!!!!

The super deck has tung oil. The number one thing is that it was completed correctly the homeowner is thrilled. The deck itself was older so it was a little more beat up than usual. I understand having multiple products for stripping stain I do keep more than one product on hand. I am only going to offer two brands this year R/S and A/C. That makes life much easier .

So far this year we stained with Flood natural(Hybrid-sucked and sprays like garbage), Superdeck natural(came out good and sprayed excellent-oil based) and AC Amber(came out excellent and sprayed like a charm).

I wish AC was something I could pick up at my nearby paint store. We sprayed a house and we ran 2 gallons short. I had to get ACR products to send me some more so we had to shut this job down for 2 days until stain arrived.

AC Stain is excellent and I'm leaning towards stock piling it but I sure wish like the old days, they didn't messed with the local products because of the VOC's and it was sure convenient to pick everything up locally.

Stripped just fine....no issues at all. We used HD-80 on it.

Beth

Huh!! I wonder what happened? Wonder what I did wrong. I also used hd-80 on this, and I made it strong but I still had to strip it twice. I have never encountered this before. I can usually get all horizontal areas the first time.

We find that stripping usually requires multiple applications until the strip is complete.....then.....rinse.

I had to break my guys of the expectation of the

'one and done' attitude.

Rod!~

We find that stripping usually requires multiple applications until the strip is complete.....then.....rinse.

I had to break my guys of the expectation of the

'one and done' attitude.

Rod!~

The one and done is so true Rod on some stains/coatings!

Sometimes it takes you to break the bond of the coating then multiple applications are needed.

Why test areas are so important then I get fooled every now and then but testing helps.

When we stripped this stuff it was a vertical application not a horizontal one. It was on a log home.

Beth

That sounds like it was a fun job...

I've never thought a product that was tough to strip made it a good product especially when it comes to maintaining it?

... I've never thought a product that was tough to strip made it a good product especially when it comes to maintaining it?

Shane,

Bingo! Short, sweet, and should be a law. Truer words have never been written until this moment concerning exterior wood care.

Shane,

Bingo! Short, sweet, and should be a law. Truer words have never been written until this moment concerning exterior wood care.

And along comes Sikkens. I hate that stain because of the stripping problems. Sorry I used that in the past as well.

Shane,

Maintenance ...Maintenance ...It's how our business was built using one of the most easiest stains to maintain.

I think there are enough easy maintaining stains Ie: BGA ,AC ,RS ,TWP now a days for companies to be very successful these days.Also for homeowners to maintain their deck themselves once they have it done by a professional if they decide to save $. I have no problems providing the stain for my customers they might do it for so long then they get older and decide to pay me to re stain again.

There are the stains that's supposed to last 6 yrs plus and are nightmares to work with,It's a shame those bad products are sold to inexperience homeowners. Thinking it will save them $ and time from having to re stain it every couple years.Then they have to pay us to save their decks from a coating that is a nightmare to maintain.

We all want our stains to get along with wood to make our job that much easier next time we clean and re stain whatever brand you use.

Maintenance ...Maintenance ...It's how our business was built using one of the most easiest stains to maintain.

I think there are enough easy maintaining stains Ie: BGA ,AC ,RS ,TWP now a days for companies to be very successful these days.Also for homeowners to maintain their deck themselves once they have it done by a professional if they decide to save $. I have no problems providing the stain for my customers they might do it for so long then they get older and decide to pay me to re stain again.

There are the stains that's supposed to last 6 yrs plus and are nightmares to work with,It's a shame those bad products are sold to inexperience homeowners. Thinking it will save them $ and time from having to re stain it every couple years.Then they have to pay us to save their decks from a coating that is a nightmare to maintain.

We all want our stains to get along with wood to make our job that much easier next time we clean and re stain whatever brand you use.

Shane,

You should write a book.