Sign in to follow this  
Wayne G.

Using sewer jetting hose for power washing

Question

Searched the forums and cant find any posts on this. When I wash flat surfaces I am at 8gpm and 3500 psi with cold water when using 100 ft. of 3/8" ID 4000psi typical high pressure hose. I want to go to 100 ft. of 1/2" ID hose to reduce pressure/flow loss. 1/2" ID 4000 psi sewer jetting hose is cheaper and lighter than the corresponding typical high pressure hose.... Any recommendations?

Edited by Wayne G.

16 answers to this question

I would be carefull doing that. You are right in that it is lighter, but in the long run I think it will be more expensive because the jetter hose is not as abrasion resistance. Drag it on concrete and you will be replacing it much more frequently.

Using 8gpm and only 100', I dont think you should be losing that much with 3/8".

If you do go that route...Piranha Hose (Sp)

I would be carefull doing that. You are right in that it is lighter, but in the long run I think it will be more expensive because the jetter hose is not as abrasion resistance. Drag it on concrete and you will be replacing it much more frequently.

Using 8gpm and only 100', I dont think you should be losing that much with 3/8".

If you do go that route...Piranha Hose (Sp)

Doug is right on.

Thx. for the info guys. I am losing about 500 psi with 100' of 3/8" and according to the Gates Hose Online fluid flow calculator that is about right.

That seems a bit high amount of PSI to lose using only a 100' section even though it's 3/8". The golden rule of thumb should be somewhere around 1psi per linear ft of hose in the example your giving. To lose 500psi on just one 100' section of hose can make a world of difference in some cleaning applications such as Gum popping where you may easily have a few hundred feet of hose in use.

You unloader maybe out of adjustment causing some of the water to go into bypass while cleaning causing less pressure at the end of your Powerwashing hose.

To answer a question like this you need a Russ Johnson to give you a better idea on why your losing that much PSI in only a 100' of hose....

Thx. for the info guys. I am losing about 500 psi with 100' of 3/8" and according to the Gates Hose Online fluid flow calculator that is about right.

Actual measurements, always good to have.

Think about the Horsepower that is lost with that 500 psi loss, the fuel etc too.

With a flow of 8gpm and if concrete cleaning pressures needed, I recommend 1/2" hose.

Anybody running 5/8" ?

Edited by 810F250

That seems a bit high amount of PSI to lose using only a 100' section even though it's 3/8". The golden rule of thumb should be somewhere around 1psi per linear ft of hose in the example your giving. To lose 500psi on just one 100' section of hose can make a world of difference in some cleaning applications such as Gum popping where you may easily have a few hundred feet of hose in use.

You unloader maybe out of adjustment causing some of the water to go into bypass while cleaning causing less pressure at the end of your Powerwashing hose.

To answer a question like this you need a Russ Johnson to give you a better idea on why your losing that much PSI in only a 100' of hose....

That was probably his pump head pressure vs the pressure before the gun, must be a hot water machine, some loss in coil ?

Searched the forums and cant find any posts on this. When I wash flat surfaces I am at 8gpm and 3500 psi with cold water when using 100 ft. of 3/8" ID 4000psi typical high pressure hose. I want to go to 100 ft. of 1/2" ID hose to reduce pressure/flow loss. 1/2" ID 4000 psi sewer jetting hose is cheaper and lighter than the corresponding typical high pressure hose.... Any recommendations?

In addition to the fellow comments, I would think that sewer jetter hose are one wire,... two wire can take more of a beating, and it it can dish out one too (lol, a good workout)

In addition to the fellow comments, I would think that sewer jetter hose are one wire,... two wire can take more of a beating, and it it can dish out one too (lol, a good workout)

Sewer hose I am familar with is thermo-plastic..no wire braid..thats why its much lighter.

Sewer hose I am familar with is thermo-plastic..no wire braid..thats why its much lighter.

Did not know that, but the doo look like hose you find on electric 1500 psi units

The braids are super strong and have very little give. Three 3/16 line van have 10000 psi working pressure and 20000 burst. All hoses need a reinforcing component like the small losely braided white ones on a braided vinyl hose or the six spiraled metal wraps of wire on a H1312 hydraulic hose. Its all about size. The smaller the inner diameter of the hose the less the reinforcing needed to get the same psi rating than on a larger hose.