Sign in to follow this  
tunatussle

New toy for retirement

Question

31 answers to this question

Randy,

Congrats! The AH looks to be in terrific condition. A few years after college, bought a well used '74 1/2 MGB-GT with Lucas, and the dual SU carbs that were near impossible to balance. Learned some basic mechanics real fast! But the cars a lot of fun to drive when running right.

If interested, there is a get together not far from you of British car buffs tomorrow from 9 - 4. The weather looks to be sunny so I plan on stopping up in the morning with my Lotus Elise. Come on by!

More info at: http://lotuspals.ning.com/events/ragtops-and-roadsters-spring-open-house-1

Edited by RPetry

Rick, I might have gone but just bought tickets to the Battleship NJ with the turret firing option.

Randy,

You will have a great time touring the New Jersey. Jake Clark and I visited the battleship a few yrs. ago on a Sunday after an ACR roundtable, prior to his flight out of PHL.

It is surprising, but there are a veritable ton of newer and vintage British car enthusiasts in the greater Delaware Valley. Clubs, "spirited" drives, and track days, usually at NJMP.

If you have an "unsolvable" parts or mechanical problem, let me know. Bill Thomas is my go to guy since day one of my Lotus, and does meticulous work. His website is: http://www.wtroadsters.com/

Rick, thanks for the name/site, you know how they can be at times. Belong to AH Sport and Touring now but looking at others. Had a couple 3000's in the 70's before I was shipped out and no place to store them when underway for 6 months at a time. So I sold them.

... you know how they can be at times.

Randy,

I'll never forget! Keeping that MGB-GT in good road worthy, top running order was a real challenge! British Leyland in the '60's through '80's was a gov't/private enterprise nightmare.

As usual, Lotus is in shaky financial straits. The Engineering division does quite well and is possibly the only asset that keeps the car manufacturing afloat.

However, so far I've been pleasantly surprised with my 2005 Elise. Purchased it used, about 18 months ago, from the original owner with 20K on the odometer. Have added another ~ 16K miles and 4 track days without a mechanical problem.

Bill Thomas did a few minor mods for tracking, but the little car has been bulletproof so far. A Katana2 supercharger and Larini exhaust goes in the end of the month, which should be a huge WHP and torque performance boost. The car N/A can be scary at times in the turns, but I'm tired of pointing the Porsche's by on the straights!

Rick, We are still looking for a good condition 3000 but they are either out of site on price or trash. Saw one that I was almost ready to jump at In Ky until I read a little further in the description and found a Chevy 283 with Power Pac and a Powerglide trans. Too much to turn it back to original.

Randy,

Give Bill Thomas a call. He restores and finds a lot of British cars. Knows the market and "gotcha's".

Warning. Older metal can be a $ sink. Like track cars.

You guys are making me think about the "Good old days" :). I almost bought an MG Midget around 79-80. I really wanted that car. I was into Jim Conner racing https://jimconnerracing.com/ so I bought a 72 Opel GT(poor mans Corvette) and my Dad and my Uncle along with myself spray painted it with 7 coats of paint to make it look like glass. Then I had the engine blue printed from Fontana racing where we had dual webber carbs added. This car was a rocket. It was also my everyday car until I left to serve the USN. I have the pics of this car in my night table. I'll try to remember to take pics of the pics. Those were good times.

This thread brings back good memories:)

John,

Hah! We're getting long of tooth. I remember the Opel's, great looking cars. Back in those days, Weber carbs were king. And "blue printing" an engine! Don't think anyone needs to do that today!

Relatively new sports cars are so much more reliable, powerful, and handle like a dream. Like mass production cars, tolerances, engineering, and ECU's have made autos easier to maintain and just drive.

Progress, instead of wrenching.

Good to here you are able to enjoy some good retirement plans. Hope all is well. Let me know if you need anything. I just got another new flatbed. Stop over the shop anytime.

I do love how my 500 sl drives. It has some good power and the hard top is so much nicer than our old one with the soft top.

Good to here you are able to enjoy some good retirement plans. ...

Brian,

Purchasing or restoring sports cars are a financial advisor's nightmare! But fun and one deserves to enjoy long delayed passions.

Brian, been working on the car and still working on both boats although the 38 is for sale, too expensive to take to the canyons any more(500 gal diesel per trip)

think i will stick with the Sea Ox as a pocket rocket. But the car is real relaxation.

Warning. Older metal can be a $ sink. Like track cars.

Yeah, I had to give up my TR6 when my first child came. Too much money to keep one for a hobby.... And Im not sure which of the two that statement attaches more appropriately to.

Yeah, I had to give up my TR6 when my first child came. Too much money to keep one for a hobby.... And Im not sure which of the two that statement attaches more appropriately to.

Jon,

Cars are transitory, children are forever.

I had a mint MGB before for the kid and trailer . A very sad day indeed watching it drive away....... I just remembered I drove it too the guys house for my last drive with my son and dropped it off. Almost kept driving by !

Edited by James