Sign in to follow this  
C2damofoj

Rust stain on painted brick

Question

One of my customers asked me if I could get a rust streak off of his chimney. The whole house is painted brick. Will oxalic acid hurt the paint? The rust streak is from a steel chimney cap and is about 4' long. The homeowner pointed out a place on the I can test some chems, what other than oxalic should I try?

17 answers to this question

Believe it or not I Just did a chimney yesterday with rust on it. I used f9 barc and it came out nice. even got rid of the rust on the metal roof.

F9 will not hurt it, in fact we use it and so do many others to clean painted surfaces, sealed concrete, coatings and even painted wood.

F9 appears to be everything the claims say it is. Probably the hottest cleaning chemical on the market right now. We used it a couple of times and it worked exactly as advertised.

If you use F9 report back to us how it worked for you so other contractors who visit here get an excellent product to add to their cleaning arsenal:)

F9 appears to be everything the claims say it is. Probably the hottest cleaning chemical on the market right now. We used it a couple of times and it worked exactly as advertised.

If you use F9 report back to us how it worked for you so other contractors who visit here get an excellent product to add to their cleaning arsenal:)

I just ordered a gallon of f9, I will post some before and after pics when the job is finished, thanks everyone for helping.

Thanks, John. Our philosophy is to always under promise and over deliver. F9 is the Ferrari of restoration chems and I take it into battle with me often! .. And we win :)

Edited by Craig

I just ordered a gallon of f9, I will post some before and after pics when the job is finished, thanks everyone for helping.

If you have any questions let me know... Thanks.

Craig: what about brick that is surfaced colored. Talking about the bricks that are treated or colored after they're fired or baked. Not exactly sure of the process but acids WILL remove that coating. I had to pay $500 for a company that specializes in matching existing brick to come fix our (technicin's boo boo, I would have tested first) boo boo.

Any experience with this?

Craig: what about brick that is surfaced colored. Talking about the bricks that are treated or colored after they're fired or baked. Not exactly sure of the process but acids WILL remove that coating. I had to pay $500 for a company that specializes in matching existing brick to come fix our (technicin's boo boo, I would have tested first) boo boo.

Ryan, so many variables here. Was it F9 you used or another chem?

Good question - This customer had a lime faced brick, meaning pressure or heavy chems may/will remove the surface. These pics were 5 years ago and I am working on the neighbors now and noticed it looks much worse. They had since replaced the steel chimney cap and I would like to go back to pick them up again. I was going to use the Saferestore / OneRestore but we decided then it was not worth taking the chance.

post-3028-137772465046_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772465131_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772465214_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1377724653_thumb.jpg

Good question - This customer had a lime faced brick, meaning pressure or heavy chems may/will remove the surface. These pics were 5 years ago and I am working on the neighbors now and noticed it looks much worse. They had since replaced the steel chimney cap and I would like to go back to pick them up again. I was going to use the Saferestore / OneRestore but we decided then it was not worth taking the chance.

F9 on that all the way. 1:2 ratio, barely mist it on.. call me if you need further help. Easy.

Acids like HCL or HF not good for that. F9 will work. The only colored stuff we need to be careful of is poorly mixed colored concrete or pavers that are not strong. They use iron oxides in the mix that can get pulled out of the substrate hydrated too quickly. A weak bond between color and surface can be pulled out.