Sign in to follow this  
mobileoneservices

Washington Post article about cleaning outdoor furniture

Question

On May 8th the Wash Post wrote an article about cleaning outdoor furniture. They quote a few furniture store managers and they say power washing is a bad idea. I understand that some of this may be directed at keeping a homeowner from damaging his patio set, but the guy from Spring Valley Patio says power washing teak will shorten the life by 70-80%. I've never heard that before and even had a customer ask me about this the other day. Thoughts?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/how-to-clean-outdoor-furniture/2013/05/07/ac9494d8-b35a-11e2-9a98-4be1688d7d84_story.html

Thanks,

Scott

11 answers to this question

Well, I think it's a matter of common sense, no power washing if you are going blasting with high pressure, but if you are using the power washer to do the "soft washing", "low-pressure", then have it.

... but the guy from Spring Valley Patio says power washing teak will shorten the life by 70-80...

Scott,

Did not bother to read the WP article but your summation is hilarious. More funny, a patio guy is an authority on exterior wood!

Reminds me of years ago. Consumer Reports gave a Cabot's Acrylic stain the #1 rating over at least 10 other products, including a few oils. Problem was, they never considered possible wood rot, especially with cedar, and maintenance on any wood is a veritable nightmare.

As Beth says, nonsense.

Well, I think it's a matter of common sense, no power washing if you are going blasting with high pressure, but if you are using the power washer to do the "soft washing", "low-pressure", then have it.

Hey Doug, can you or anyone out there recommend a cleaning agent to apply to the teak wood before doing the soft wash?    Thanks in advance!

Do the math ? 70 % , what ? Has the patio manager ever seen a person come in again to buy a new patio set after being destroyed by pressure cleaning? How long is the life of a patio furniture manager ? One season ? Has a patio furniture manager ever sat on teak outside of work ?

Please don't use the words soft washing for wood care .

Jim,

Soft washing is a REAL method.

Beth

The only thing that has changed is the word. The methods have not changed . Can't stand the word related to the action of wood restoration .

Well, we have been doing it, our method does work.....

Perhaps you just never learned to properly do it.

Beth

I have no clue what your talking about ? What method ? I just brought up the use of the words Soft Washing.