Sign in to follow this  
B.A.

Sealer recommendation

Question

Hey All:

I have a client looking to keep the look of her deck in the state of where we have it now. We have stripped, Washed, and neutralized. She says she has previous experience with putting on a non pigmented oil and stated it still darkened the wood (however it looked like we stripped a brown stain off the deck). Any ideas....she's looking at a product from home Depot called Wood Rx (its acrylic) so I'm like "NOOOOOO". Any thoughts?

13 answers to this question

she's looking at a product from home Depot called Wood Rx (its acrylic) so I'm like "NOOOOOO". Any thoughts?

Well if you inform her how it's nightmare to maintain an acrylic stain it will cost more $ in the long run by using that type of stain. Most homeowners see that long 4-6 yr life of stain they claim to have is all fluff and so misleading. Show her how the cost can be lower to re stain in 2-3 yrs to maintain a deck with AC vs having to strip an acrylic off.

You need to get some pics of the AC stain on decks and show her what a professional stain on decks looks like.

It's not redwood, just PTP. She wants nothing red, or dark even....maybe the amber would work....but I dunno. I'll try the amber with her....we've been giving her samples to try out, she's said no to cedar and redwood semi's. even a natural from TWP, she doesn't like any of it......

We have one or two a year that opt to go natural after restoring the deck even though it's against everything I stand for. Ultimately it's their deck though. We use the Wolman Raincoat water base on them. There's no way to use an oil without imparting some darkening or amber color to the wood. Raincoat is by no means is a superb product but it's easy to clean and recoat. Just make them aware it will need done annually and will not provide any UV protection. The best option would be something like AC Amber or similar but some people just don't get it :)