Sign in to follow this  
John T

Full time & Part time Powerwashers-please read

Question

Whether your part time Powerwashing with the goals of becoming one day a fulltime Powerwasher, or you do two jobs with Powerwashing being one of them.. don't let anyone put you down like you don't matter. Even within this Industry.

Don't buy into a anyone acting Like your second rate. If fulltime Powerwashing is your Field of choice don't let others who went to college and became lawyers for example treat you like your second rate.

If your a part timer also don't let others treat you like you don't belong. The worst type I see is people in this Industry who want to try to bring others down within this Industry. There is a faction out there who like to put down others who have to work two jobs to make ends meet for their families. This faction likes to knock down even fulltime Powerwashers who don't feel the need to get certified in there field to be considered legit.

They also like to knock down anyone who questions them about anything.

Keep this in mind.. All you guys matter. Whether your fulltime,Partime,Female or minority owned don't let these people treat you like your second class citizens. We have enough problems to deal with in life but one of the most despicable things is to to see some of your own in leadership positions trying to badger you into feeling like your not worth squat because you don't buy into fattening their pockets.

Welcome to the maze of life within this Industry. Follow your conscience and also due your own due diligence. Stand clear from the ones who's sole purpose is to make money off of you with nothing in return.

Another words watch your back as well as your fellow full time or part time Powerwashers because we are all in this Industry together.

45 answers to this question

If anyone believes people that do this part time are hacks I don't want to know you and if ......

people that have only done this 3-4 years and now calling themselves "experts " I don't want to know you...

If on the other hand ..if people say your good at what you do and they want to call you expert at what you do ...I probably would like to know you...

class division of part time or full time or part time is nuts ....

what next ...someone doesn't like full time one man companies verses a "real company " that has more employees full time....lol

on a side note ...I believed the original poster meant when he said "I don't like part timers" my understanding was he would help people that were working part time get more business for them so they could do this full time.

I DON'T know if my interpretation of this is correct ...but would hope so.....

i think your right in your assessment here David. I just don't buy into how much he really wants to make them full timers compared to probably just trying to sell them something.. But like you I could be wrong as well.

I have a hard time imagining how a part-timers viewpoints and suggestions should be ignored simply because he is a "part timer". Shouldn't their viewpoint or suggestions be weighed on other scales? Just because they're part time doesn't automatically mean their stand or viewpoint is bad and should be avoided.

This is like saying an elderly person shouldn't be allowed to vote - because soon they'll be dead and they won't have any "skin in the game".

And where do you draw the line. Since you're judging ones source of revenue as someones "skin in the game", should a contractor's ideas whose business makes a million dollars a year be weighted heavier then a business owner whose business makes only 100,000 a year? Crazy. The guy who's making a 100,000 a year may be making more profit then the guy whose making a million.

Or what about a full-time pressure washing contractor whose spouse makes a 6 figure income every year. Or, maybe a pressure washing contractor has a multi-million dollar inheritance. All of the sudden.. they don't have any "skin in the game" - so let's ignore them.

Heck, I don't care if somebody is a landscaper, doctor, or dog groomer. If they have an idea that could better the industry as a whole, let's hear it.

Great Post Micah!! Some of these guys who crack on the partimers don't tell us that their wife has an excellent job that covers their health insurance that they would have never been able to afford with their "Fulltime" Powerwashing job.

In my case my wife has been able to stay home from the day 1 after our first child was born so no matter how someone wants to crack how back then us "Part timers" meant nothing, to family it meant everything and that's what really counts.

Also this remark is directed at Chris Apple so he can let those others know who are discrediting to what they think part-timers stand for in this Industry. I became a BOD as a "Part Timer" and I ended up finishing my 3 yr term as a The Treasurer but still a "Part timer" and initially I got some cold stairs in the board room but knowing I probably represented a higher % of contractors that belong to orgs and may be considered part timers I felt I gave them a voice so they won't be dismissed like some are trying to do at different places.

Lastly the President of the org I served on made it a point to say that I was probably the most successful part time Powerwasher he knew. I always took that as a compliment because I was in the same room with him..

Cool stuff but don't let others tell anyone they don't matter within this industry and all professional Powerwashers who take their work seriously and get paid pretty well in doing so earned the same rights within any org they belong to and they should have the same right to vote as well. Also don't listen to anyone who wants to drag you down so they can try to make themselves all important. It only makes them look foolish is discrediting who you are within this Industry.

Edited by John T

Great Post Micah!! Some of these guys who crack on the partimers don't tell us that their wife has an excellent job that covers their health insurance that they would have never been able to afford with their "Fulltime" Powerwashing job.

In my case my wife has been able to stay home from the day 1 after our first child was born so no matter how someone wants to crack how back then us "Part timers" meant nothing, to family it meant everything and that's what really counts.

Also this remark is directed at Chris Apple so he can let those others know who are discrediting to what they think part-timers stand for in this Industry. I became a BOD as a "Part Timer" and I ended up finishing my 3 yr term as a The Treasurer but still a "Part timer" and initially I got some cold stairs in the board room but knowing I probably represented a higher % of contractors that belong to orgs and may be considered part timers I felt I gave them a voice so they won't be dismissed like some are trying to do at different places.

Lastly the President of the org I served on made it a point to say that I was probably the most successful part time Powerwasher he knew. I always took that as a compliment because I was in the same room with him..

Cool stuff but don't let others tell anyone they don't matter within this industry and all professional Powerwashers who take their work seriously and get paid pretty well in doing so earned the same rights within any org they belong to and they should have the same right to vote as well. Also don't listen to anyone who wants to drag you down so they can try to make themselves all important. It only makes them look foolish is discrediting who you are within this Industry.

Good Post John

I have also seen people portray themselves as powerwash contractors, and consider themselves experts in their field when they have seldom, if ever touched a wand. I would take a guy's opinion that has actually done the work far over someone that is a salesman that subcontracts all of his work out. There is no real experience in watching someone else do the work.

I would respond there but I'm banned but Guy Blackmons response is dead on. He's responding to the other fulltime guys.

Actually I wasn't just talking to full-time guys John....I was talking to everyone full or part time. Doesn't really matter the point is there is a price difference between Commercial concrete cleaning and residential concrete cleaning.

Personally I have no problems with part time guys in this business as long as they have the same commitment to quality and pricing as full time contractors.....but for the most part I think we all know that's just not the case.

Part timers are in a unique position and I don't think they fully understand that they can actually sell higher and make a larger profit margin than I can, but because they have a "Regular Job" to fall back on they sell low for some reason.

Part timers, lowballers, hacks or whatever don't bother our Company a bit, because I keep my mind on "My" business not theirs.

Same here Guy. I network with companies on both sides of the fence. I get it that people with one business or one place where their money comes in do stand to possibly lose a lot more if they fail.

Tell me if you don't know these type "Fulltimers"

1-they have such a high volume of customers and they can clean faster then most so they can charge less per sq' for example but they have the ability to clean a much larger area which gives them a high revenue when completed? I know companies like that who have multiple accounts because they can do just that.

2-there desperate to keep themselves busy because they have no other revenue streams so they may lowball a job just to get it?

Your wife has a good job if I remember correctly. When I had 2 jobs my income from Powerwashing was just as important as yours was because I was the only one bringing in the cash in my family.. And that was because my wife wanted to be home with our kids. I also recall that you powerwashed for a few yrs like most of us have before you went completely fulltime. Why should have you got any less respect then when you were floating 2 jobs?

I've heard of them sure.

Yea Mary has a great job now, when I re-started our Company 7 yrs ago she had to quit work because her Father's health was failing and she had to take care of him, that went on for 5 yrs. until he passed away here at our home. I worked a regular job and built our business and paid all the bills.

Where in any of my posts have I said anything about showing less respect for anyone that is part time???.....Where John???.....Show me John. You can't because I haven't. I have helped more part time guys out than I can remember, why would I do this if I disrespect them.....because I don't disrespect them.

What's Your Point?

Part timers are in a unique position and I don't think they fully understand that they can actually sell higher and make a larger profit margin than I can, but because they have a "Regular Job" to fall back on they sell low for some reason.

My point is that. Did you do that when you had two jobs?

Well why didn't you just say that instead of dancing around the subject?

Yes I sold higher, hence my suggestion in the above post. There were also plenty of times I screwed up and submitted a lower bid but it wasn't because I was trying to cut anyone's throat either, and I'm sure you and others have done the same thing.

Again whats your point?

Well that explains why you dont consider ************ any competition to your business now doesnt it?

LOL...no really that was good and funny at the same time !!!

Edited by Jim Gamble
added funny

Well why didn't you just say that instead of dancing around the subject?

Yes I sold higher, hence my suggestion in the above post. There were also plenty of times I screwed up and submitted a lower bid but it wasn't because I was trying to cut anyone's throat either, and I'm sure you and others have done the same thing.

Again whats your point?

I understand John's point as well as most of us.

I think you two are in violent agreement.

Lol.. I don't think me and Guy will ever agree on critical positions. We've been arguing for years. Wait to Guy finds out what where working on next. Lol I can hear it now.. "I will do whatever I can John so you fail fail and fail again". I got a bullseye on my back with Guy and around 3 others. Maybe 4 others. Can't please everyone.

Again whats your point?

If you didn't see my point Guy when I started this thread then as far as where concerned where good. No point in discussing this further between us.

As for you Part-timers & Fulltimers who do take your work seriously and don't want to be treated like "2nd class citizens" you can always join the groups I belong to. The PWNA www.PWNA.org & the PWRA www.Pressurewashingresource.com

In both of these groups the big factor here is you both have all the benefits these groups offer once you join and your treated with class & dignity. Your also treated equally.

You won't see any leaders in these groups acting bizaar on the net and showing anytype of unfair favoritism to their members.

Maybe one day you can become a Fulltime Powerwasher or maybe you still will be successful in 2 jobs like many Part-Time Powerwashers have been. The PWNA & The PWRA won't be judging you any differently and they will also accept you because they care and they want you to succeed in whatever direction you decide to take.

These two groups act very professional which is what you want from any organization or association you end up joining who consider being professional is a way of life when your in business. They also accept fireman,cops etc etc and they don't judge them either. Judging people is not the business model of either of these two groups. Their business model is to help you become more successful no matter if you stay part-time of become a larger fulltime business cause you can be highly successful in both.

Good luck on your choices and ask around before you before you join anything to get a better idea on the direction you want to go.

John Tornabene PWRA & PWNA member.

As for you Part-timers & Fulltimers who do take your work seriously and don't want to be treated like "2nd class citizens" you can always join the groups I belong to. The PWNA www.PWNA.org & the PWRA www.Pressurewashingresource.com

In both of these groups the big factor here is you both have all the benefits these groups offer once you join and your treated with class & dignity. Your also treated equally.

You won't see any leaders in these groups acting bizaar on the net and showing anytype of unfair favoritism to their members.

Maybe one day you can become a Fulltime Powerwasher or maybe you still will be successful in 2 jobs like many Part-Time Powerwashers have been. The PWNA & The PWRA won't be judging you any differently and they will also accept you because they care and they want you to succeed in whatever direction you decide to take.

These two groups act very professional which is what you want from any organization or association you end up joining who consider being professional is a way of life when your in business. They also accept fireman,cops etc etc and they don't judge them either. Judging people is not the business model of either of these two groups. Their business model is to help you become more successful no matter if you stay part-time of become a larger fulltime business cause you can be highly successful in both.

Good luck on your choices and ask around before you before you join anything to get a better idea on the direction you want to go.

John Tornabene PWRA & PWNA member.

STOP JOHN.

LET IT ALONE.

LAST WARNING.

You are baiting people. No more means no more FOR EVERYONE.

Beth

STOP JOHN.

LET IT ALONE.

LAST WARNING.

You are baiting people. No more means no more FOR EVERYONE.

Beth

I hear ya Beth. "Who loves ya Baby" Telly Savalas -Kojak :)

Thanks for the props, JT, but I don’t think the Pressure Washing Resource Association has much in common with either of the two orgs.

It’s just a totally different animal. But thanks for your support.

Sure thing Thad-- you guys definitely have something special there.

Hey little secret- I ran into someone today while I was at a mandatory walk thru during a bidding process in NJ. This guy knows Chris and Alex well. He's predominately a window washer that also does Powerwashing-- small world.

Edited by John T
Spelled word for world-corrected.