Sign in to follow this  
mordy

Help. Rain. Rain. Rain.

Question

Hi,

My question is especiallyfor the woodies, how do you schedule around the weather and keep busy. It seems to me that if you typically wait 2 dry days before sealing, its very hard to stain alot of decks. What am i doing wrong, or is this just part of it, and sometimes you just need to keep on pushing it off. I currently have 4 large decks waiting to be stained (after having cleaned them), and i cant seem to get to staining them. Please any input would be great, as i am lossing my mind. Thanks.

14 answers to this question

It's very frustrating that's for sure. The best you can do is try to learn the weather patterns in your area and never wash more than you can reasonably get back to. Rainy days are great for washing houses and trex decks and so forth....

Beth

I'll be glad when the day comes that a stain is developed ( that works) that can be sprayed same day after stripping.

Edited by Adrian
spelling

SHARE..... you can have all my pain. lol

It's part of the game bro.

Wait til hurricane season!!!!!!

Really fun "slipping" in between pop up showers and monsoons.

Glued to the weather app.

Biting fingernails.

yeah, it gets better than this.

Hi,

My question is especiallyfor the woodies, how do you schedule around the weather and keep busy. ... Please any input would be great, as i am lossing my mind. Thanks.

Mordy,

#1 - Buy a decent moisture meter. 2 days drying time is not a rule. Hardwoods often dry in a flash, and softwoods can get down to 12 - 14%, depending on wind/sun exposure, humidity, and protection from prior oil in the wood, fairly quickly.

#2 - Expect and want to work 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. We're in NJ, and this past Sunday and Memorial Day Monday were out on jobs staining. It is an April into November business in our climate and every "staining" day counts.

#3 - Get use to it. It is inherent to the nature of the business. I'll ***** and moan with the best on lousy weather, but have learned to kind of just go with flow on weather. Can't control it, just learn to live with it.

Thanks Rick for the advice. I concider you my bible on wood care. Btw you are the one who originally sent me to Tom Vogel and i am thankful for that.

Thanks Rick for the advice. I concider you my bible on wood care. Btw you are the one who originally sent me to Tom Vogel and i am thankful for that.

hah, at least you know who to blame when it rains!

I thought I was doing good this year by scheduling all my decks together earlier in the season :( Now I am way behind revenue wise from last year because of weather interruptions.

Thanks Rick for the advice. I concider you my bible on wood care...

Jesus Christos! You had better find another religion!

Btw you are the one who originally sent me to Tom Vogel and i am thankful for that.

Tom and Barbara of ACR Products are terrific. You could not find a better business partner.

We second your opinion of ACR Products. They are one of our primary vendors.

Now as to the weather, will whoever is in charge here please order up a non-existent hurricane season and some extended warmth through say...the end of December? Thanks!

Beth

I always wish for rain after a week or 2 to get a break from staining wood!

We're pretty dry here hoping for some rain on Sun...