Sign in to follow this  
WoodDoc

Lowes Deck Restore Product

Question

I had a customer call me about cleaning and resealing her deck. Currently she has an oil based semi transparent stain. She asked me about using Lowes Deck Restore. I've never put anything on the floor of a deck other than stain. Have any of you guys ever used this product? If so what are your thoughts on it? I'm wondering... how does it keep from blistering and/or peeling, since its like a thick paint with sand in it. Thanks for any input. If there is already a thread on this product, I apologize, I must have over looked it.

Edited by WoodDoc

18 answers to this question

I've seen a guy post some pics son a deck he put that stuff on for a customer on Facebook. I think it's ugly and just not right for wood it turns a wood deck into a composite deck. I could see it losing it's bond to the wood eventually but how long? I'm guessing you apply more on if it peels?

I would never apply that stuff on a deck myself it's almost a woodie sin to be honest......

that's what I thought. I'm hoping I can steer the customer to washing and reapplying some more stain.

If the wood is very old a solid would be a better choice....

... I would never apply that stuff on a deck myself it's almost a woodie sin to be honest......

Shane,

O heavenly Father, Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to bless and sanctify this house and all who dwell therein and everything else in it, ...

Shane,

O heavenly Father, Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to bless and sanctify this house and all who dwell therein and everything else in it, ...

May the Lord Woodie be Rick with you always threw tough acrylic and sillycone strips and having no fuzzies....

May the Lord Woodie be Rick with you always threw tough acrylic and sillycone strips and having no fuzzies....

Shane,

Hah! You know what it can be all about.

Random orbitals with 60 grit and a Makita buffer takes care of the furring. It's the mojo, nasty stripper mixes that does the real work. Don't tell anybody!

i actually thought about putting this on the floor of my new utility trailer for pressure washing. I am still on the fence about it, but only for protecting it against bleach and our chems.

do yourself a huge favor and apply an oil based stain kill primer to clean and bare wood, then 2 coats of herculiner. You will be thankful you did not use that acrylic garbage from lowes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herculiner is mek based, tough as nails and resists the chems real well. I spilled 15% on it and it sat for 2 days. Rinsed off and the only evidence was a little discolored puddle shape, all good tho.

do yourself a huge favor and apply an oil based stain kill primer to clean and bare wood, then 2 coats of herculiner. You will be thankful you did not use that acrylic garbage from lowes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herculiner is mek based, tough as nails and resists the chems real well. I spilled 15% on it and it sat for 2 days. Rinsed off and the only evidence was a little discolored puddle shape, all good tho.

I didn't like the herculiner stuff on the metal bed of my service bed. Fixing to have it sandblasted off and line-x put on. I am seriously thinking about putting just burnt motor oil on it. Someone also suggested linseed oil but I don't know anything about that. I don't want anything that will chip or peel up.

The herculiner peeled up on my bare naked and properly prepped and applied service bed is what I was wanting to say

It adheres very well to a properly prepped surface as far as wood goes. I still would not use the crap from Lowes.

It adheres very well to a properly prepped surface as far as wood goes. I still would not use the crap from Lowes.

I wasn't. You have any thoughts on the linseed oil or burnt motor oil? I don't want to put something that covers up the screw heads cause it would make it a pain when having to replace the boards. I think I would rather leave it untreated than put a liner on it cause I can replace the boards every couple years.

I wasn't. You have any thoughts on the linseed oil or burnt motor oil? I don't want to put something that covers up the screw heads cause it would make it a pain when having to replace the boards. I think I would rather leave it untreated than put a liner on it cause I can replace the boards every couple years.

Maybe some left over ready seal or Ac if you use that. Same effect as the lineed oil. I would stay away from the usd motor oil. The sheen running off the trailer may be a turn off, plus the odor wouldn't be too nice. When its time to replace the boards, alot of guys around here are buying rough sawn lumber, hardwood and a full 2 inch thick, not 1.5 inch and they like it. Stronger, lasts longer etc. Just a thought...

Maybe some left over ready seal or Ac if you use that. Same effect as the lineed oil. I would stay away from the usd motor oil. The sheen running off the trailer may be a turn off, plus the odor wouldn't be too nice. When its time to replace the boards, alot of guys around here are buying rough sawn lumber, hardwood and a full 2 inch thick, not 1.5 inch and they like it. Stronger, lasts longer etc. Just a thought...

Not a woodie, so I don't have anything. So linseed or bare?

Pleasepleasepleaseplease don't apply that stuff. You can never take the Woodie oath, or get the secret decoder ring if you do this thing.....

Beth

Lol Beth, I'm not. I was told some guys are using burnt motor oil or linseed. I have no clue what is good and bad and halfway tempted just to leave it bare....

Lol Beth, I'm not. I was told some guys are using burnt motor oil or linseed. I have no clue what is good and bad and halfway tempted just to leave it bare....

Jeremy,

Used motor oil was a very popular exterior wood preservative decades ago. And apparently very effective.

Years ago, Everett Abrams (a long time woodie) was at the USDA's Forest Products Lab in Madison, Wi. A researcher with the lab showed him some test wood that had been exposed to the weather for 40+ years after being "stained" with dirty motor oil. He said that the wood was in extremely good condition.

ok, I guess I will play the voice of opposition - to some extent. I had a customer that wanted a price for their small 12x12 deck. It was in horrible condition and had to be covered up by carpet to keep the splintering and shards in tact as they had 4 young boys under 7yrs old. My price with strip & sand was something like $1100 and I told him it would probably be a better idea to just replace the wood. They ended up applying the deck restore stuff from HD or Lowes.

After looking at what they did, and knowing how bad the wood was, it was actually a pretty good solution. It had a tight bond, very thick non-skid texture, and filled the cracks and covered the shards and splinters. I was quite impressed with what they did. The bad part - they said it was very labor intensive as it has to be brushed on to fill and cover the damaged wood, required 2 coats, gets extremely hot (at least as hot as composite), and if I'm not mistaken it cost $200-$300 as this stuff only gets like 25sf per gallon. Might be a DIY solution but couldn't imagine it being even remotely a cost effective contractor solution.