Sign in to follow this  
B.A.

"Sheen"

Question

post-2641-137772462788_thumb.jpg

hopefully the pictures above transferred correctly.

stained this deck last Thursday with Sikkens cedar semi, hot day was sucking it right in, so applied a wet coat.

the history with this deck is that it was built a yer ago with PTP and the builders stained it with 3 coats of something (an oil base not Behr). It looked pretty bad; continuity was definitely an issue. So we come in....strip, wash, neutralize, and sand, and at the customers request use the Sikkens. No problem, I've used Sikkens- expensive, prefer AC, but whatever, it's a semi trans oil, so I'm happy-.........until the streaks or as we're calling it "The Sheen"

My guess here: 1. PTP that was never allowed to weather contributing to inconsistent absorption rates?

2. Gonna try to knock off sheen with a sanding sponge?

3. Doubt customer will be satisfied with until it is uniform and continuous, but if we strip again, should we advise to allow PTP to weather?

Thanks

post-2641-137772462418_thumb.jpg

post-2641-137772462455_thumb.jpg

23 answers to this question

hot day says it all. Sounds like it flashed on you, which really sucks cuz it will probably fail in 2 months. A/C stains can be applied in heat of the day but Sickens not so. Also, keep in mind that sickens finishes with a bit of shine at the best of times. Oh how I hate the stuff.

also, pics look like you may have over applied a bit too. looks a bit lapmarked. Sorry dude but it may be all bad for you. More and more reasons why we all should refuse to use that muck.

What Beth says. I carry a rag and when over applied I wipe it off. you will see it just doesn't go into the wood anymore.

... 3. Doubt customer will be satisfied with until it is uniform and continuous, but if we strip again, should we advise to allow PTP to weather?

Ryan,

A year of weathering on PTP should be plenty of time. Unless the wood was full out shaded from the sun and/or protected from moisture.

I'm not familiar with Sikkens but if it is mostly oil based, you may want to try acetone. Take a rag, douse it with some acetone, and quickly try rubbing out a small "shiner". The stuff is extremely volatile and evaporates quickly.

A note of caution. Don't light a smoke when working with acetone.

Edited by RPetry

After a night of womanizing and hard core drinking Charley Sheen has been known to get Sikkens . He has been found face down on many decks and doesn't remeber how he got there ?

After a night of womanizing and hard core drinking Charley Sheen has been known to get Sikkens . He has been found face down on many decks and doesn't remeber how he got there ?

Hah, you don't need solvents either - just some hot water to break it up!

Going to redo this project. Did not try the solvents, customer wants redo. _H_T Happens. Part of the job-Always learning. Thanks Everybody.

Going to redo this project. Did not try the solvents, customer wants redo. _H_T Happens. Part of the job-Always learning. Thanks Everybody.

Feels better when it quits hurting.

At least you have the pros here for all the pointers.

Not easier to fix than strip? Stripping fresh stain is a PITA! Sickens to boot too...

good luck with that...better have some booster handy?

Gee ,a minor sanding of the sheen and reduce the sikkens with spirits . apply a very light coat and collect check.

That deck has been Charlie Sheened !

Edited by James

Thanks everybody, got rained out during tail end of this redo yesterday...going back for a SECOND strip :sorrow: today. thanks Beth on the brush tips, there are some areas underneath some built in benches that your technique will come in handy. I will continue to document.