Sign in to follow this  
Ballistic

GX390 starter hub question

so my starter recoil assembly got mangled on my GX390. I picked up a replacement already. The center hub thing im replacing also because it go bent. Now, the hub thing that the starter engages into.. which is bolted to the flywheel with a 15/16" nut..

3 questions..

1.how do i hold the hub from turning while trying to undo the nut?

2. when i replace the nut.. what torque?

3. does the nut loosen counterclockwise as usual, or is it one of those reverse threaded ones?

hope this is clear. thx.

so my starter recoil assembly got mangled on my GX390. I picked up a replacement already. The center hub thing im replacing also because it go bent. Now, the hub thing that the starter engages into.. which is bolted to the flywheel with a 15/16" nut..

3 questions..

1.how do i hold the hub from turning while trying to undo the nut?

2. when i replace the nut.. what torque?

3. does the nut loosen counterclockwise as usual, or is it one of those reverse threaded ones?

hope this is clear. thx.

Balistic Welcome to The Grime Scene please add your signature to your profile it's forum rules....

I'm sure someone will chime in if they know an answer to your question...

Thanks

Strange as this may sound........Take out the spark plug & pop a length of starter rope down the hole leaving a bit poking out so you can remove it. rotate the starer hub by hand which will be easy as there is now no compression, until the piston comes up & hits the rope, there by jamming the engine. As for the rotation, just look at the thread & you'll know if its left or right handed. Use a ''normal'' bolt to see if the thread is the same. Get the right sized wrench & give it a short sharp wack with a hammer. As for the torque, I'm not sure, but if you tighten it as much as you can by hand, then use the hammer to give it that final nip up. Remove the rope by reversing the rotation, pop in the plug & get back to work.

Strange as this may sound........Take out the spark plug & pop a length of starter rope down the hole leaving a bit poking out so you can remove it. rotate the starer hub by hand which will be easy as there is now no compression, until the piston comes up & hits the rope, there by jamming the engine. As for the rotation, just look at the thread & you'll know if its left or right handed. Use a ''normal'' bolt to see if the thread is the same. Get the right sized wrench & give it a short sharp wack with a hammer. As for the torque, I'm not sure, but if you tighten it as much as you can by hand, then use the hammer to give it that final nip up. Remove the rope by reversing the rotation, pop in the plug & get back to work.

starter rope eh? I like it.. will give it a try today.!! thx