Sign in to follow this  
John Burdine

Best clear wood finish

Question

I have a client (an association we regularly clean gutters for) who just had all 100 or so of their decks replaced. They are wanting to take better care of them this time but are insisting on a clear wood finish over a stain. I'm a big fan of Ready Seal but color is a tough sell for these folks. What is the best clear wood finish that can be applied in one coat and won't build film over the years of repeat application? They are expecting to have this done every 2 years or even more frequently so durability isn't a huge issue, I just don't want to have to strip before future applications.

9 answers to this question

I don't have to strip the Gray away clear but it will turn grey if it gets a lot of sun. You can add a little pigment to the clear to add some color if needed like 1 part color 4 parts clear.

... They are wanting to take better care of them this time but are insisting on a clear wood finish over a stain. ...

John,

I'm not sure I understand. These are new decks that already have been stained, and they want a clear over top to help protect the first initial stain? If so, I do not think that will work very well. The pigment in the initial stain will weather and fade out, clear top coat or not.

Otherwise, just clear Ready Seal or other clear stains will allow the wood to grey out, fairly quickly on wood with a lot of sun exposure. I hope they like grey wood!

My favorite mix is 50/50 clear ,lite brown RS .

Diamond Jim likes to walk on the wild side. Actually, this is a very attractive mix for clean, newer wood, particularly Western Red Cedar and some other exotic cedars.

The decks are not yet treated with anything, I know that was confusing when I said "over a stain" I meant they prefer the use of a clear product instead of a stain.

John,

Clarified. The wood will be a little bit darker when clear is 1st applied, but it does not last long. Might as well rename the RS stain as "Grey Away", as that is what the wood will look like after some time in the sun.

A correction. After at least 13 years, and I'm sure many more, RS decided to change the names of most of their pigments. So Diamond Jim, in all correctness, the contractor favorite for the right woods, "Light Brown" is now "Light Oak".

Even Peirce, a very old hand with RS, gets a bit confused with these "new" colors. They are not new, its the same pigments as always, almost forever!

I *****ed and moaned to Peirce for years on the old name "Medium Red". Customers heard "like the old picnic tables". The stain is more brown than red. Never a tough sell, put a sample down or refer them to the website photos and they are sold. A terrific color for many woods. It is ~ 75% of our stain sales.

So now they rename the stain in marketing, website, etc. as "Redwood". Ok, no foul, but nobody knows what the wood, redwood, is here in the Northeast, Texas, or anywhere else aside for California.

Ok, so what. It's a great stain for many jobs. The first shipment of 5'ers in the friggin' absurd metal buckets come in this spring. The labels, clear as day, announce to the world that you have purchased "RED WOOD".

That is not a wood stain pigment, it is a 2nd grader's description of an ugly picnic table. Do any of the marketing geniuses in Texas know anything about wood or at the least, proper spelling?

Rant off.

Might as well rename the RS stain as "Grey Away"

Sorry Rick Texas is only big enough for 1 "Gray Away" stain. :cool:

I think it's trowing $ away on sealer and the wood itself if a clear sealer is used on a deck fully exposed to the sun. If the wood is not maintained every 9-12 months before turning grey if not sooner the UV rays just tear the wood up.

I've done porch ceilings in a clear/Gold mix so super light pigment but not ever seeing sun should last a long time.

John,

I'm not sure I understand. These are new decks that already have been stained, and they want a clear over top to help protect the first initial stain? If so, I do not think that will work very well. The pigment in the initial stain will weather and fade out, clear top coat or not.

Otherwise, just clear Ready Seal or other clear stains will allow the wood to grey out, fairly quickly on wood with a lot of sun exposure. I hope they like grey wood!

Diamond Jim likes to walk on the wild side. Actually, this is a very attractive mix for clean, newer wood, particularly Western Red Cedar and some other exotic cedars.

Depends on the finish. Sikkens makes a clear coat to be applied over the color for maintenance purposes, it's the answer to the UV darkening of the alkyd oil. Also there are acrylics that have clear maintenance coats. Both work well. Have not found this to be the care with blended or non drying oils since they need replenishing with each cleaning. However I will say I am not a fan of clear on wood. It offers no UV protection. I'm not a fan of toners either, since the pigment levels are so low. In my experience, a semi-transparent is the minimum that should be applied, regardless of which product it is.

Beth

John, Cedar Semi or Cedar Tone is what they need. Contact us for samples. Many thanks, Jake

John. We have sample cans available. Please call at 1 800 565 8211. Many thanks, Jake