Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Ready Seal customer service

Question

I wrote the following email, with the attached pictures, to Peirce Fitchette, the National Sales Manager for Ready Seal stains.

Peirce,

Here is a deck we prepped for Ready Seal stain. Think the wood will look terrific with your Clear stain?

After all, the wood is only about 30 yrs. old, has never been serviced, and has more peaks and valleys than the Rocky Mountains. There was a "crust" on top of some of the wood, almost like marine coral. We were able to sand that off with a 10 grit belt unit and 8 man-hours of labor. I think it was worth it although payroll will be difficult this week.

The customer finally bought a real kitchen cheese grater instead of using the splintered boards to prepare her favorite spaghetti topping. She's kind of fat, and just loves to eat pasta.

Her dog died from trying to eat the old cheese out of the floor boards. Poor old guy bled to death. His swollen tongue looked like an overcrowded pin cushion from all the splinters stuck right through. We finally got the blood out of the wood using NaOH, 12% bleach, ACR's special "Voodoo" mix, and a lot of acetone. His name was Porcupine. From what I understand, he was a very nice, friendly dog.

With no friends or living relatives, she is devastated. That is why she called us in. To restore her deck in memory of Porcupine. During the estimate, I sympathized with her loss, and helpfully suggested that she purchase a new puppy. Maybe name him "Cutter". Do you think I was a bit too familiar? After all, I do have empathy for my customers. After the initial shock of seeing me in the flesh, they seem to like me as I'm very friendly. Although I must admit I've had a few requests over the years to wear a full face mask while working on their property. Something about the neighbor's....

I took a mail order Wolman's course many years ago that has served me well in the wood restoration business. I'll never forget the main point, The customer is always right and you are an idiot if you do not buy our products.

Anyway, she really wants a clear stain so the wood looks natural. What do you think?

Rick

So now, after emails and telephone calls, Peirce will not get back to me with professional advice. Its not like I'm some stranger. We've broken bread together with my dogs, but I helpfully gave him a plate on a table with a chair. I must admit Peirce looked at me with a strange expression, as I groveled gruel with my own bowl down on the floor with my 2 best friends. And I do not think he enjoyed the food. Made some snide remark about being "raised with wolves".

So any helpful advice from members of TGS? Can I use Clear Ready Seal on this job? Get a facelift from Joan Rivers best friend? Stock up on better dog names? Learn to eat with a fork and spoon? Does Peirce think I'm unworthy of customer service?

Please help me.

post-170-13777246582_thumb.jpg

post-170-13777246583_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

I would say that deck it not a candidate for clear alone how about a mixture of clear and the lightest RS color? As long as you have been a customer not returning your calls is not acceptable. Hell even new customers you would want to treat them like they have been a long time customer anyway. Without customers suppliers have no business! When I have any problems I get responses pretty quickly from Texas Wood Products .

Rick,

Are you on drugs?

Beth,

Short answer is no. Although at times, I do remember those days with fond memories. The memories are probably better than those days.

Wuv wuv,

I do not have a clue as to what "wuv" means. And suspect that it is beyond my limited comprehension.

For any actually wasting their time on this thread. Its a "GAG" on Peirce and Ready Seal. Please don't ask.

Nice job, that thing was a mess. The miracles people expect are amazing. I set the customers expectations pretty quick. Decks like that are common in my area. I usually get them thinking about a semi solid pretty quick. have been lucky so far.

Good thing you said something..... Was calling factory in Dallas to get help for you......

Gene,

I am doing just fine. Between the stain name changes and the foul metal buckets, I think Lewisville, Tx. corporate and the Weatherford, Tx. plant need the help. At least in primary spelling. Redwood spelled Red Wood. Shameful!

Rick,

Replace the W sound with the L sound.

Never-mind.....it's a girl thing.

Beth

Beth,

OK. That sounds good. Don't know much about "girl" things these days, I'm getting old. Too bad we did not meet 40 yrs. ago, now that could have been some serious fireworks! Specially with Barb V. in the mix! Hah, woodie dreams of what could have been ...

Luv luv you too,

Rick

Hello Peirce,

It is moments like this that I thank God Rick is your customer and not mine. It appears that he has contracted the new strain of fungus that enters one ear and works its way to the other!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Peirce, as I fear, Rick's medical bills might be heading your way.

Stiff upper lip,

Jake