Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Matching Mahogany Flame?

Question

Anyone have experience matching Cabot's Mahogany Flame color in the TWP1500 series of stain? This would be for

Mahogany decking, the customer says it's cedar - the only cedar that it looks like it is spanish cedar - but my guess

is that it's still mahogany.

15 answers to this question

They have redwood, http://www.amteco.com/products_twp_1500.php#.UeK9lPmkqqI I don't know from these online color samples if it's similar - went onto the Cabot's site and the Mahogany flame didn't really look red to me - that's why I hate these online colors. Just wondering if anyone knew from experience.

Well, I don't really want to use A.C. anymore - although, I've had some success with the product on Mahogany that suggests that it may be a plausible product to use. I just don't understand these stains anymore. I've had great great results with TWP on pressure treated, and not so great results with it on Mahogany. And I have the reverse results with A.C. I've had lousy results with it on pressure treated and decent results on Mahogany. I just don't understand how one stain can perform wonderfully on one wood and not on another - and get the reverse results with a different manufacturer. I don't want to pass judgement on TWP yet, as the mahogany deck I did is super hot with tons of south facing sun - and there are other variables I dont' want to discuss.

And the other thing is another deck I did with A.C. that I thought was mahogany with 1x6 boards I think turned out to be another kind of wood, where A.C. was nonexistent on it the following year. But it didn't look like Ipe either, perhaps teak or maybe that spanish cedar that looks identical to mahogany to me. Which is what this woman seems to have.

^^^^^ yes! it is!!!!!

Beth

A near absolute match. No matter, after all these years, the OP is still playing with different stains. Jesus Christo, we've been using the same stain for about 12 years on all species of wood. If you prep and stain correctly, it really is not that difficult. Well, except for weather, hard, hot labor, and scheduling jobs.

Throw in a multiple water based acrylic mess, or better yet, a poly/urethane, and it does get interesting. But that is what makes the business fun and challenging.

I've been using TWP steady now for 3 years. I would never use the product you use on decks.

Daniel,

Peirce Fitchette, the sales guy at Ready Seal, appreciates that.

Rick, you're kind of snotty. You know I do not like the A.C. product - but you had to go thumbing your nose into this tread and bringing it up. This thread was asking if anyone had any experience with matching a Cabot's color in the TWP line. It had nothing to do with A.C. or any other product. Why do you insist on being an A$$?

Rick, you're kind of snotty. You know I do not like the A.C. product - but you had to go thumbing your nose into this tread and bringing it up. This thread was asking if anyone had any experience with matching a Cabot's color in the TWP line. It had nothing to do with A.C. or any other product. Why do you insist on being an A$$?

Daniel,

I will admit to not being one of your fans. However, if you wish to start slinging mud, I'd suggest private messages. It is classless and a bit disrespectful to TGS, members, and the general public to post expletives on an open forum.

Well, I don't really want to use A.C. anymore - although, I've had some success with the product on Mahogany that suggests that it may be a plausible product to use.
... You know I do not like the A.C. product - but you had to go thumbing your nose into this tread and bringing it up. ...

Your two statements shown above, written by you in this thread, are difficult to reconcile.

You asked a question about matching Cabot's Mahogany Flame pigment. I offered the best alternative that I am aware of.

I've been using TWP steady now for 3 years. ...

Then you should know the pigments. Call the manufacturer, or Scott Paul, who sells a lot of TWP, maybe they can help. If available, order some sample cans.

Ok enough with the name calling It will not be tolerated here on TGS! So I don't want to see it in the open forum!

Rick is trying to be helpful so keep it professional... I wouldn't expect this from a forum leader Dan!

Edited by seymore

... I wouldn't expect this from a forum leader Dan!

Shane,

Oh boy. Sorry. I did not know that Daniel was a forum leader.

TGS has been the premier website for good information on exterior wood care.

Pardon the ruckus. All my comments still apply.

Shane,

Oh boy. Sorry. I did not know that Daniel was a forum leader.

TGS has been the premier website for good information on exterior wood care.

Pardon the ruckus. All my comments still apply.

It's fine Rick I didn't think your comment needed that kind of response. We need to respect every member on TGS in the same professional way! I don't use RS but respect the guys who have great success with it even tho it's my competitor here in Tx. I'm not gonna bash products or other TGS members in an open forum it's just not cool!

TGS is still the premier wood care site with tons of info and experience!

Shane,

In no way did Rick go beyond the bounds. His comments were well documented by previous quotations. The general public is here at TGS on a daily basis and pays attention to this website. Perhaps you should review the qualifications of "forum leader". Posts do make a difference and should be neutral in nature.

Jake

Okay....let's all just breath.

None of us are going to agree all of the time on methods or products. That's the life of a Woodie. At the end of it all when we post photos, we all admire each others work regardless of the finish.

Now then.....Cabot's Mahogany Flame color, AC has a Mahogany color, and Sikkens SRD has one too.

One last thing, all of our forum leaders are expected to uphold the desired professionalism here on TGS. We strive to be a forum that doesn't tolerate or allow locker room/ bar style behavior. Our goal has always been and will always be to provide a professional forum for all to exchange in business dialog.

Have a great day. Oh, and if the wood is clean and bare, seal it up! :-)

Beth