Sign in to follow this  
MidwestMaintenancellc

90+ plus degrees and wet towel humidity .

Question

We have been having some sicking heat with like 75% humidity in WI. Seems like the RS isn't really looking to sweet .

How do you southern woodies handle it especially the ones that live in the swamp?

I know RS doesn't flash dry but I would really disagree at this point in time.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

11 answers to this question

Just applied 8 gals of RS Redwood on mahogany and cedar today in NJ. Temps were mid 90's, maybe 70% humidity, and full sun after 9:00 AM. Went into the wood just fine, and will last another 2 years before servicing the horizontal wood.

Try that, in those conditions, with any linseed oil based stain. A "flash" dry and lapping nightmare.

Well then . I guess I just suck then. Appreciate the success story.

Is it actualy lapping ?I have hadsome occasions where it looked like it was going to but it didnt.

Is it actualy lapping ?I have hadsome occasions where it looked like it was going to but it didnt.

In 12 or 13 years, I have never seen Ready Seal "lap" or "flash" dry. Hot, cold, ipe' or beat up PT. It is one of the qualities of of a true, pariffin oil based stain. Anyone have a moisture meter and know how to use one?

Moisture meter ????? whats that???? LOL. I thought mine might have broke, its been stuck on 20% for like three weeks. aLL good though it fixed itself today and went down to 13% ha ha ha ha

Moisture meter ????? whats that???? LOL. I thought mine might have broke, its been stuck on 20% for like three weeks. aLL good though it fixed itself today and went down to 13% ha ha ha ha

Steven,

That is the only major downside to using Ready Seal stains. For a 1st time customer, ie: strip, percarb. or bleach, it is a waiting game until the wood is dry enough to apply the oil.

After that, maintenance is a breeze. There is still oil in the wood after 2 - 3 - even 4 years, that after a light cleaning, it does dry out fast.

Its doing something. I can scratch it off like it forms a film. And it keeps fading in a matter of months. It previously had RS on it from a other contractor. I stripped it ,ox 'ed it then rinsed it even though they claim you don't need to. I've only been using RS for two years and this is the seconded deck with these issues, And its the third maybe even fourth that didn't last a year.

Love how easy it is to use.

I went from wolman 07-08 a true garbage product.

Timber scapes till 2010/ good linseed . Really a decent product doesn't last for $hit but 5 good years doing this woodcare and still waiting for that product.

Yes I use a moisture meter it was less than 5%.

Try some Bakers. I have had really good results in constant moist environments.

We are constantly at 85% humidity or higher in 95 plus degree temps.

Granted it should be applied twice initially, but maintainence is basically the same as RS.