Sign in to follow this  
John T

What is your biggest fear dealing with Powerwashing machines and burners?

I've been going out at night at times this past month to do some commercial accounts my guys can't get to because they were loaded up with residential work. I always loved doing flat work. Using heat, Stronger Pumps and surface machines. To me its like exercising and getting paid:)

In the past I had these following things happen when dealing with my machines and burners. The worst was causing a propane Sonic boom while in my box truck yrs ago to having a burst valve suddenly not work along with the unloader which was continuously building pressure. I just unhooked my hose from that Unloader when it suddenly shot upwards at least a 100' in the air. I also had a few hose break off where I got my hands smacked and including my face once where I had a nice size bruise on my eye lid and far head. I also burned myself a few times dealing with higher heat in the past.

Dealing with homeless people and drug addicts is another story.

But lately I'm turning into a bit of a chicken. I keep thinking the way my guys beat on my machines that one of the quick connects are just going to fly off and Knock out a few of my teeth. (Must be an age thing). We generally deal with 8+ gallons a minute and in the range of 3500 psi. I'm no wimp but just the thought of one of these things popping loose and if it happens you couldn't react fast enough.

So what's your biggest fears dealing with your Powerwashing machines and burners?

You guy that work nights are brave souls.

If I worked nights I believe I'd have a trigger gun rigged up to the surface cleaner. No lance/wand. Man, a zero degree nozzle and 200 degree hot water would really ruin a bad guy's day...er, night! Especially at 3,500 PSI and 8 GPM LOL! I think I'd rather be tasered any day...er, night!

Edited by Rapid HotClean

You guy that work nights are brave souls.

If I worked nights I believe I'd have a trigger gun rigged up to the surface cleaner. No lance/wand. Man, a zero degree nozzle and 200 degree hot water would really ruin a bad guy's day...er, night! Especially at 3,500 PSI and 8 GPM LOL! I think I'd rather be tasered any day...er, night!

lol.. Some of these people want you to shoot them. I remember that from that crack epidemic.

I never recalled any screwball wanting to get sprayed with water especially with a quick pop in with a red zero degree tip. I'll plead the 5th admitting to anyone if I ever did that dealing with commercial night work for 15+yrs now especially when I was on my own....

lol.. Some of these people want you to shoot them. I never recalled any screwball wanting to get sprayed with water especially with a quick pop in with a red zero degree tip. I'll plead the 5th admitting to anyone if I ever did that dealing with commercial night work for 15+yrs now especially when I was on my own....

And, And...LOL.

what about using a small cable that loops around hose before the QC fittings and the 2 cables lock together, that way if QC'S did blow, a cable would keep them from knocking teeth out.  Might get burned by hot water, but no lacerations.  Any one ever seen anything like this?

Worst thing happened to me is when i fired my unit up and inside the burner area it caught fire. My fuel tank had a small crack in it and was leaking fuel in the burner area. Man it melted 100 foot of pressure hose and made an indention in the asphalt. Machine was fine though, besides a fusable plug blew out. That was the scariest thing that has happened to me.

Marko

what about using a small cable that loops around hose before the QC fittings and the 2 cables lock together, that way if QC'S did blow, a cable would keep them from knocking teeth out.  Might get burned by hot water, but no lacerations.  Any one ever seen anything like this?

I know they make them for the bigger tow behind compresors. I have used them. I think here in Maine they are mandatory (osha) when using those airlines. I would think they would be easy enough to make, and would work well.

I had today smoke coming out of the coil even though washer was off for about 10 minutes already.

Check your fuel shut off and the electrodes on the ignitor.Sounds like  the valve is sticking and allowing fuel into the burner after it shuts off or the ignition is weak and unburned fuel is collecting and cooking off on the hot coils.