Sign in to follow this  
joelnece

Hooking up new pressure washer to tank

I just recently bought a new Pressure Pro 5.5 GPM skid machine that I am mounting on my trailer and hooking up to a buffer tank. I am using a 3/4" crush resistant hose straight from the tank. After hooking everything up for the maiden run I pulled the trigger to bleed the air from the system before lighting her up and... nothing. I know there is water flowing to the pressure washer. Up until now all of my experience has been with a 4 GPM machine that I have been able to run straight from the spigot. Am I doing something wrong or will a machine that is fed from a tank not bleed the air from the hose simply from the pressure coming from the water level in the tank? I was a little concerned and did not want to burn up a new machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Joel--You said you know the water is running to the pump if I read that correctly. Let it run for a few seconds and you will see or at least should see water with air shooting out of the hose then soon all water. The pump will be primed at that moment. Gravity fed this should work every time and if its a belt driven setup it should have the ability to pull the water up as well.

Yes that is correct, water is running to the pump. And yes it is belt driven. I am not sure if I was completely clear but I did not start the washer yet as I have always been able to bleed the air from the system in my old washer from just the water pressure alone before starting the pressure washer. So just to sure when you say "let it run" you are referring to the pressure washer and not the water, correct?

You have water in the tank and the water line is hooked straight to the pump(make sure you have a filter between pump & tank).

I would just start the pressure washer and squeeze the gun or open the ball valve and let the water completely run thru the system. Also make sure you have the pump setup for bypass back into the tank so that can protect your pump from over heating while the Powerwasher is running and the gun is not squeezed. You always want water running thru the pump at all times when the PW is running.

If you have everything hooked up like above and there is no air leak in the hoses or fittings then everything should run fine.

@Joel,

You will get your current question resolved soon enough but after that, do your pump and yourself a huge favor; Upgrade the intake hose to at least 1". 1 1/4" would be better if the hose is more than just a couple of feet long. Reason?, although 3/4" is plenty when pressurized, it is too small when the pump has to pull the water. Reports say that your pump packings will last much longer.

if you would use clear braided hose, you could see if air bubbles in the hose are the problem. Having said that, I have only used clear hose once, it got sucked shut. Braided hose was not available, so I just went back to 3/4 heater hose. It has worked for me for 30 + years.

Just wanted to say thank you for the peace of mind regarding starting the new washer up. Did as you said took about 8 seconds and then water was a-flowing. Holy Crap what a difference between 4 GPM and 5.5 GPM! Granted it's a new machine and the old isn't pushing exactly as it used to but wow. Thanks again.

Just wanted to say thank you for the peace of mind regarding starting the new washer up. Did as you said took about 8 seconds and then water was a-flowing. Holy Crap what a difference between 4 GPM and 5.5 GPM! Granted it's a new machine and the old isn't pushing exactly as it used to but wow. Thanks again.

Glad it worked out for ya Joel:) Its reasons like this which makes www.thegrimescene.com such a great place to learn and interact with other powerwashers. I learned a ton here myself.

I would also recommend a 1" hose from the tank to the pump, even though the pump inlet is probably 3/4" or 1/2", the flow to the pump from the tank should be as much as possible. I have had 4 different pump mechanics from different dealers tell me the same thing, it will help your packings last longer.

I had a 3/4" supply hose for many years until I heard about this and changed it out to the larger hose. You will probably not see a difference but it should help the pump last longer.