Sign in to follow this  
John T

How do you handle "Business/Job burnout?

Question

Do you ever get to the point and you just say you need a break?

Right now where going some days and mostly nights doing Powerwashing work. That's a good thing. But I'm feeling a bit burnt out right now because everyday it's like something is going wrong. Swivels are breaking, we broke two Surface machines this week alone where I had to Frankenstein them back together. We lost a couple of residential jobs because no one wants to hear we can't be there for at least 3 weeks etc.

I also added to my shop this past week so it's go,go,go. I am going out to dinner with a bunch of my friends this Thurs nite(no girls allowed) and that will be a much needed "small break" but with most likely no vacation in site this summer the burnout is coming on a little to soon for me.

So what do you do when burnout syndrome sets in a little sooner then expected?

8 answers to this question

I know one thing I've been thinking about.. I need to possibly get back in the gym after a 7yr hiatus. That always got my mind off of work but getting to the gym is the hard part.

Idea's? What do you guys suggest to do when you get that burnout sensation kicking in?

I'm the opposite. I've had the last 3 days off & now I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it. I don't do ''not working'' very well at all. If I'm not working, I'm checking the equipment over, doing quotes getting chemicals etc. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thrive on being under the pump as it were. Be honest now. If you we're on vacation, are you saying you wouldn't be thinking about what was going on back home? I don't think you ever really switch off when you're self employed. You cant afford to. Just my opinion.

Do your best to delegate the work. You have employees make them do their job .

Truthfully sounds like you are busy so that's a good thing , I wouldn't complain about that.

I will say the Gym is a great idea.

Its your life be happy.

Travis Mandli

Midwest maintenance LLC

Racine WI.

262-456-6572

What is a vacation? I don't remember.

Lol.. I remember the first couple of yrs I was like that but the kids were babies. Vacation with babies-- no thanks.

I'm the opposite. I've had the last 3 days off & now I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it. I don't do ''not working'' very well at all. If I'm not working, I'm checking the equipment over, doing quotes getting chemicals etc. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thrive on being under the pump as it were. Be honest now. If you we're on vacation, are you saying you wouldn't be thinking about what was going on back home? I don't think you ever really switch off when you're self employed. You cant afford to. Just my opinion.

Yup I get like that to. It's tough to turn of your mind abbot business even when on vacation. There were many times I would come back from vacation(Jersey shore house) and then go back after I did some more jobs.

That really sucked but I hate to pass up work and as I get older I have gotten smarter with that. Having a couple of employees helps.

John,

Buck up! Lord, you're a lot younger than I am. And at least on the exterior side, its only a 7 month season. Gotta' make hay ...!

With the weather forecast the next 3 days here in the Northeast, you may have a down day or two due to heavy rain. We will, but we only work on wood. The good/bad part of our business is that you get periodic days off, but then work the weekends to try and catch up!

I've scheduled 5 scattered days off this wood season when I'll be out of town for a recreational break. That's enough to stay sane and relatively recharged. Keep in mind that by late January, you'll be chomping at the bit to put in a 6 or 7 day work week!

Your right Rick. I read my post in here and I realize that I do make myself miserable at times because of what you said about come January I'll be chomping at the bit to put in a 6-7 day workweek. Thanks for pointing that out even though....it's true lol.